If you are looking for a fun activity to review Give Said the Little Stream in primary this spring, you’ll love this Give Said the Little Stream Up & Down activity! This movement activity will have you hopping up and down the whole time!
Affiliate links are included in this post.
I think it’s nearly impossible to resist a smile while singing this song. This short, happy song is such a fun one to teach in primary! This song is especially great if you have young children because the repetition is great for their learning!
Give, Said the Little Stream Up & Down
*Downloads are available at the bottom of the post when signed in!*
As I’m sure you are aware of, the #1 word sang in this song is the word “Give.” In 3 short verses, the song says the word “give” a total of 22 times! Since it comes up so much, I thought it would make for such a fun, simple game to play for singing time!
The idea for this activity is that you jump up and down every time you sing the word “Give.” It’s that simple! Junior primary kiddos especially will get a kick out of this. For senior primary, you may have to add in some extra challenges, which I’ll discuss later in the post.
To make this activity even more fun, I’ve made some cute printable “Jump UP” signs to use for this game. Simply hold up the sign anytime the word “Give” is sung during the song. You could also choose a child to be in charge of the card. Then, make sure to save this “Jump UP” sign for primary program practice (Just trust me!)
Just print out the cute sign (printable at the bottom of the post) and then attach it to a craft stick, like these darling colorful craft sticks on Amazon!
- At the beginning of primary, review the words to Give, Said the Little Stream with this Flipchart!
- After reviewing the words a few times, introduce the activity by asking the children how many times the think you sing the word “Give” during the song (You might want to sing it one more time and let them count!)
- Explain that each time you sing the word “give” in the song, everyone will jump up out of their seat and then sit back down until the next time it comes up.
- After one practice round, look for a child who is singing reverently and invite them to be the leader.
Adaptation for Senior Primary:
Lately, my Senior primary has been itching for more challenging activities. For this Up & Down game, I have some ideas to make this a bit more challenging for Senior primary.
For Senior primary, I’m planning on having them switch seats every time we sing the word “give.” This is similar to the Up & Down version for Junior primary, but instead of just jumping up, they have to find someone to switch seats with. This makes it a bit more challenging and encourages them to move around the room.
To avoid children knocking into each other, I would recommend starting by having children only switch seats with the person sitting next to them. Then, if they do well, you might encourage them to switch with someone from a different class.
Make sure you have a few extra seats around, too, to help everyone find a new seat quickly!
- Make it a competition! See which side can jump up the fastest (Junior primary especially will love this)
- Instead of jumping up and down, pass around an object. Each time you sing the word “Give,” have the children pass the object to the right.
- Instead of singing the word “give,” hum or clap while you jump up!
- Try out different ways of singing the song! Check out these 110 Different Ways to Sing Primary Songs here!
Give, Said the Little Stream
Printable Lesson Plan & Up Sign
I’ve created a simple printable lesson plan to help you prep for this activity! The first page of this printable contains instructions for the activity, as well as extension ideas to use in primary!
The second page of the printable contains a simple “Stand UP” sign to use for this activity. Simply print out this sign and laminate for longer use. This is the #1 laminator on Amazon and it’s cheap!!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing Membership for immediate ad-free access to 25+ printables each month. Plus, exclusive printables you won’t find anywhere else!
Check out this Give, Said the Little Stream Flip chart to help you as you learn this cute song!