Sing a fun mix of Primary songs in this Primary Song Scramble game with 2 ways to play! You can either unscramble words that are out of order or unscramble the letters of each word with the words in the correct order to find the correct title.
This is a great Singing Time idea to review Primary songs. We have a whole bunch of additional fun ideas that make practicing songs fun and interesting for the kids. Like this Balloon Bounce Review game the kids will go crazy for!
Primary Song Scramble
*Downloads are available at the bottom of the post when signed in!*
How to Play:
Pick the word scramble or letter scramble versions below. I recommend words for Jr and Letters for Sr.
For the Word Scramble: you’ll post the words all mixed up one at a time up on the board and ask the children to reorder the words. If you have a bunch of littles in your Junior Primary, you’ll want to read the words in their scrambled order out loud, then ask the children if they can figure out the song name.
For the Letter Scramble: you’ll post the mixed up songs and have the children help you decode them. You can let them fill in the blanks as they start to crack the code with a couple helpers filling in a word.
Or, simply write in the title as they give out answers for the different words. As they start to unscramble some of the easier small words, the bigger words will be easier with the extra context.
Primary Song Scramble Song List
You can adapt this idea to fit any song you’d like, but these are the 12 songs I’ve chosen to include. They tie in perfect with the 2022 Come Follow Me Song List for Old Testament, but can work for other years’ song lists too.
- He Sent His Son #34
- I Will Walk with Jesus (Not in CS)
- Keep the Commandments #146
- I Love to See the Temple #95
- I Am a Child of God #2
- Search Ponder and Pray #109
- I Feel My Savior’s Love #74
- Love One Another #136
- When He Comes Again #82
- Choose the Right Hymn #239
- Follow the Prophet #110
- I Know My Father Lives #5
- Consider adding in some fun ways to sing to add interaction and movement!
- Have the Senior primary work on the 1-page version individually or as a class. Then, when everyone is done, sing through the list in order.
- Add in a name that tune aspect by playing through the song while they work to unscramble it. That will help make it a little easier, too.
- Cut up the words and put them in an envelope. Have them work as a team to put them in order. Make one copy for each group.
Primary Song Scramble Printables
This printable lesson plan includes a quick 1-page overview with how to play, extension ideas, and a song list for your pianist!
Then, you’ll pick from the letter scramble or word scramble versions to play — or do both! There’s a 1-page printable for each style with all 12 songs or 4 pages of word strips with 3 songs per page for a larger format to work on together as a Primary or as a fun envelope challenge.
For another fun activity for reviewing your Primary song picks for the year, head over to our Primary Song Guess Game! It’s a spin off of Wheel of Fortune with fun big letter titles and can be used for ANY songs!
What other fun ways could you use this fun Primary Song Scramble game in Singing time?