Need a simple singing time idea for Thanksgiving weekend? Use this cute Thanksgiving Primary Songs Word Search! This representation of words activity is a fun way to introduce lots of new holiday songs to the kids!
I created a Thanksgiving-Themed word search using all the songs on this Primary Fall and Thanksgiving Songs list! Have the kids see how many words they can find and how many songs they recognize! Then, sing the fall songs as you go!
Fall & Thanksgiving Primary Songs
How many fall-themed primary songs can you think of? A few quickly come to my mind. I pulled some Thanksgiving songs from our Fall Primary Songs (including Halloween & Thanksgiving song ideas) post earlier this year and compiled them to create a word search!
I will be using this activity as a way to familiarize the kids with some fun songs that they can sing with their families during Thanksgiving time. I’m not too worried if the kids don’t know all the words.
During singing time, I’ll have the kids work together to solve this fun Thanksgiving word search and sing some sweet songs about gratitude and Thanksgiving!
Most of the songs are from the Children’s Songbook, but a few are from the hymnbook as well. Here’s a list of the songs I’ll be using in the word search:
- For Health and Strength #21 (Such a fun round to sing!)
- It’s Autumntime (#246)
- I Pray in Faith (#14)
- I Often Go Walking (#202)
- A Song of Thanks (#20)
- I Am Glad For Many Things #151
- We Thank Thee O God, For a Prophet (Hymnbook #19)
- Count Your Blessings (Hymnbook #251)
- Print out the 1-page word search if each child or class will receive their own word search to work on.
- If you want to have one big word search to post on the board, print the large, 4-page word search. Print out the word bank as well.
- At the beginning of primary, ask the children what they are most excited about for Thanksgiving. Put up the word search and tell the kids you’ll be working on a Thanksgiving word search together!
- Have the kids take turns coming up to the board to find a word. You can give them a clue if they are stumped!
- When you find a word, sing the primary song that correlates with that word! Each of the songs, as well as the words that go with those songs will be included in the printable.
- Continue finding words and singing through the Thanksgiving songs! It’s OKAY if the kids aren’t super familiar with some of the songs. This is just a way to introduce them to some fun Thanksgiving primary songs.
- Have a class contest! Pass out a word search to each class. Have the classes sit in different corners of the room and work together to find all the words. See which class finishes first!
- If you want to get through more songs, sing all the songs before starting the word search and sing just a few randomly as you go!
- Have the kids try to guess which songs go with the words. Some of the phrases are the titles, so those will be easy!
- Once you’ve found all the words, choose a child to come up and point to a word. The word they point to will decide which song you sing!
Thanksgiving Word Search Word Bank & Song List:
- BLESSINGS (Count Your Blessings Hymnbook #251)
- PROPHET (We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet Hymnbook #19)
- MEADOWS (I Often Go Walking #202)
- FAITH (I Pray in Faith #14)
- LEAVES (It’s Autumntime #246)
- THANK (A Song of Thanks #20)
- GLAD (I Am Glad for Many Things #151)
- HEALTH (For Health and Strength #21)
- STRENGTH (For Health and Strength #21)
- PRAYER (I Pray in Faith #14)
Looking for more Thanksgiving-Themed activities? Click here for more ideas!
Thanksgiving Primary Songs Word Search Printable Lesson Plan & Word Search Printable
This printable includes lots of resources to help you as you prepare for this activity! The first page of the lesson plan includes activity instructions and extension ideas. This page also includes all the words used in the word search, as well as song titles for the words included.
The 1-page Thanksgiving word search is on page 2! Print out several different copies of this page if you want the children to work on the word search on their own. Page 3 has a handy key for the word search if the kids get stuck.
Pages 4-7 have pieces to the large poster-sized word search. Piece these pages together with tape and use this as your word search! A large copy of the word bank is included on page 8.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Try this cute Thanksgiving Dinner Primary Mix of Songs Review next!
How did your primary kids enjoy this word search?