I LOVE bringing in dance scarves into primary! My primary kiddos love choosing a bright color and creating fun shapes while they sing!
*This post contains affiliate links*
How to Use Dance Scarves in Primary
I adore using dance scarves. I typically use dance scarves once every month or so in primary because my kids just love it! Junior primary children especially love getting to choose their own color and wave their scarf while we sing!
If you aren’t super familiar with dance scarves, they are typically used to support movement in the body because they provide a fun visual cue that shows you’re moving!
My favorite dance scarves come from this set of 24 Dance Scarves on Amazon. Just look how cute these are! They come in so many bright colors and are the perfect size for kids!
For another fun activity using dance scarves, check out this I Will Walk With Jesus Dance Scarves!
I Feel My Savior’s Love Dance Scarves
I’m super excited to share this activity with you! I’ve created a simple dance scarves pattern to use as you sing I Feel My Savior’s Love in primary. I wanted to keep the pattern simple because I just love the sweet lyrics of this song.
After taking some time to review the first verse of the song, introduce the activity by passing out some dance scarves. Give the kids a chance to try out the dance scarves, then demonstrate the dance scarves pattern below and add music!
Dance Scarves Pattern:
This activity contains 5 simple shapes that you will make with your dance scarves while you sing the song. I’ve created a simple printable found later in this post that you can use to help you follow along.
This pattern was created for the first verse, but it can definitely work with verses 2 and 3 as well!
Heart: Of course, we had to start this pattern with a heart. This shape will be used at the beginning of the song when you sing “I feel my Savior’s love.” It comes up again at the end of the verse when you repeat the phrase.
Circle: For this shape, just make a large circle with your dance scarf. I fittingly chose this shape for the phrase “In all the world around me.”
Left to Right Arrow: To create this shape, slowly wave your dance scarf from the left to the right. Use this shape when you sing “His spirit warms my soul.”
Star: The star shape is a little bit more challenging. For this shape, create a star by starting from the left and bringing your dance scarf up to a point and bring to the right side. Continue until you’ve made your star! Use this shape for the phrase “Through everything I see.”
Up and Down Arrow: Use this action for the phrase “He knows I will follow Him,” and just wave your dance scarf up and down!
- At the beginning of primary, introduce the activity by reviewing the words to I Feel My Savior’s Love (I Feel My Savior’s Love flip chart here!)
- Pass out scarves and demonstrate each of the dance scarves shapes, allowing the children to try making the shapes and actions a few times before adding music.
- Display the pattern on the board using our Dance Movement Cards or by drawing out the actions.
- Sing the first verse using the pattern,
- Try out your new actions for the second and third verses and continue having fun while reviewing the song!
- Have the children come up with a few of their own actions!
- During the song, invite the children to “draw” something that they love using their dance scarf. You might even invite a child to come up and have the children guess what they are drawing!
- Have each class choose their own actions to use with the dance scarves. Have each class “perform” or teach the class their pattern while singing the song.
- Have the children come up with their own actions! Listen to their fun ideas and try a new pattern.
- Have children choose a partner and switch scarves after each verse. You could also have them move around the room to a different seat.
I Feel My Savior’s Love Dance Scarves Printable Lesson Plan
I’ve created a simple printable lesson plan to help you prepare for this activity. The first page of the printable includes activity instructions and some extension ideas.
The next page of the printable is a “pattern poster” to use during primary! This page includes 5 fun shapes to make with your dance scarves while you sing the song. The last page provides the shapes along with the lyrics underneath to remind you which shapes go with each phrase.
How to Login to Unlock Downloads!
You can access ALL of our free lesson plans, flip charts, and other printables and downloads by subscribing! Grow.me is a really cool tool that lets you bookmark and save your favorite posts. See our FAQ page here if you need additional help!
Step 1: Click the Unlock Printables button below or 3 Dots icon in the bottom left corner.
Step 2: Create a free account with Grow.me and login.
*NOTE: We do not ask for ANY Credit card information on our lesson plans!! If you see any type of request, that’s not my site!
Step 3: That’s it! All download files will automatically be unlocked as long as you are logged in! If you’re already logged in, you’ll see the PDF preview and/or download button below.
Signing up will subscribe you to our email newsletter or update your subscription status if you previously unsubscribed. Our newsletter shares the latest weekly posts with timely and fun Singing Time ideas and new printable lesson plans!
👇 Download Here 👇
For another fun activity, try out I Feel My Savior’s Love Syllable Singing!