You will love this When We Seek Him Christmas Dance Scarves activity this December! This fun purposeful movement activity is a great way to keep your primary kids engaged during the entire lesson!
I’ve created a dance scarves pattern that includes 4 cute Christmas-themed shapes. Create these fun shapes with your dance scarves as you sing When We Seek Him in primary for Christmas!
How to Play:
- At the beginning of singing time, review the words to the first verse and chorus of When We Seek Him (you can find our flipchart here!)
- Then, pass out dance scarves. Give one to each child or give a handful to the teacher and have them pass the scarves to
their class to make it go a little quicker!
- Display the pictures of the 4 Christmas dance scarves shapes. Demonstrate each scarves pattern as you point to the
picture. Have the kids try making the shapes with you!
- Then, put the shapes in order and have the kids create the shapes in order.
- Add in some music! Try singing through the song slowly and singing along with the first verse and chorus.
- Continue practicing and have some fun with the Christmas shapes!
Christmas Dance Scarves Action Cards:
This activity includes just 4 cute shapes that you’ll create with your dance scarves. Each of these shapes are simple enough that they can be adapted for nearly any Christmas songs you are learning!
The pattern for this song is pretty simple. I’ve divided the song up so that each shape takes up about 2 lines, with the exception of the chorus.
1. Star: Create a star shape by starting in one corner, waving the scarf to the next point until you create a star!
*Create this shape while you sing the first two lines of the song. You can use this shape for both verses. You will likely make the shape 2-3 times during these 2 phrases.*
2. Christmas Tree: Create a simple “Christmas Tree” shape by making a big triangle with the dance scarves
*Create the Christmas tree shape while singing the last 3 lines of the verse. Again, you will make this shape a few times while you sing!*
3. Stocking: Create the stocking shape by making a large “J” in the air.
*Use this stocking shape while you sing the first two and last two phrases of the chorus, excluding the phrase “When We Seek Him.” You’ll be using this shape for “If miles lay between us then I’d walk to Jesus” and “For he will be with us Wherever we are”.*
4. Wrapped Gift: Create a gift by waving your scarf in a large square shape.
*This shape will be another “Chorus” shape. Create the gift shape while you sing the third through sixth lines of the chorus: “O’er mountain and desert I’d follow that star, but He doesn’t ask us to journey so far.”*
That leaves the last line of the chorus: “When we seek him.” For this line, let the kids choose what action they’ll use for that line! You could have all the kids decide on one shape, or let them all choose different shapes!
We have 24 different dance scarves actions that you can use for reviewing ANY primary song! The kids will have so much fun waving their dance scarves around while getting in lots of practice!
- Have the kids rearrange the order of the shapes so that you create different shapes while you sing. For example, you could arrange the shapes so that they are in backwards order! Try singing it with a different pattern.
- Use our simple dance scarves action cards! Put the cards in a basket and have the kids randomly choose 4 of the cards.
- Sing through the song using those actions, then choose 4 new ones!
- Instead of using the pattern, choose keywords for each shape. Every time you sing that word, create the shape with your dance scarves. For example, create the “gift” shape when you sing “seek.” You could also choose entire phrases so that you have enough time to make the shape!
For another fun idea using dance scarves, check out this I Want to Live the Gospel Dance Scarves activity!
When We Seek Him Christmas Dance Scarves Printable Lesson Plan & Action Cards
I’ve included this Christmas Dance Scarves lesson plan PLUS some cute printable action cards to use for this activity! We always include activity instructions on the first page to help music leaders prepare like you prepare for activities! Print out this page and bring it to primary or tuck it away for later!
Page 2 includes all 4 Christmas dance scarves shapes! I made the shapes a little smaller so that you can print them out to use as action cards. Laminate these cards so that you can use them for Christmas activities in the future!
I’ve also included larger, full-size posters of each card. If you have a large primary, these posters might be the right size for you. Just print out each page and post them on the board as you sing!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
Check out these 3 When We Seek Him Sing Along Videos while you review this song!
Which of these Christmas dance scarves actions is your favorite? I love them all!