For a great way to dive into a conversation about the lyrics, you’ll love this A Child’s Prayer Song Lyrics Trivia game! It includes easy questions and the kids can buzz in to be the first to answer!
A Child’s Prayer is one of the songs that has really stuck with me as an adult, so I really love teaching it or including it when it makes sense to! It’s one of my 2022 Old Testament Primary Songs this year.
A Child’s Prayer Song Lyrics Trivia
How to Play:
Sing through the verse of A Child’s Prayer that you’ll play the trivia game for once before starting.
Divide the Primary into 2 teams. Then, have one child come up from each team to stand at a buzzer. They’ll place one hand on the table and their other hand behind their back.
You’ll read the question and the first to hit the buzzer will get a chance to answer!
All answers should be answered in song lyric form.
If they get it wrong or need help, let the other child up front try to guess. If they are both wrong, the first child can have a friend from their team help.
If anyone yells out the answer, the other team gets the point!
Go through 2 trivia questions, then sing through the song again and challenge the kids to listen closely so they will be ready for the next questions!
A couple of tips:
I would recommend just sticking to one of the verses, but you can do both and just switch to singing the 2nd verse before starting in on the next set of questions.
The second verse trivial questions are a little harder, so it may be better for Senior Primary.
A Child’s Prayer Trivia Questions Verse 1
A Child’s Prayer – Verse 1
Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer every child’s prayer?
Some say that Heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father I remember now
something that Jesus told disciples long ago
“Suffer the children to come to me”
Father in prayer I’m coming now to thee.
Sing Verse 1 (flip chart)
- Who is singing the 1st verse? (A child)
Display a mirror or a picture of a child by verse 1
- Who is the child praying to? (Heavenly Father)
- Where do some people say that heaven is? (Far away)
- How can you feel heaven close to you? (As I pray)
- Fill-in-the-Blank: Heavenly Father I ______ now? (remember)
- What did Jesus tell disciples long ago? (“Suffer the children to come to me”)
- How can we come to Heavenly Father? (in prayer)
- What was the child praying to know? If He does… (hear and answer every…prayer)
A Child’s Prayer Trivia Questions Verse 2
A Child’s Prayer – Verse 2
Pray, he is there. Speak, he is listening.
You are his child. His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer. He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav’n.
Sing Verse 2 (flip chart)
- True or False: Heavenly Father is the voice singing the 2nd verse? (False, 3rd person)
Display a picture of a parent or teacher by verse #2
- What is one of the reasons the song says we should pray? (he is there/listening)
- The song first says to pray and then says to ____? (speak)
- Choose the correct answer: You are his… friend / child / or baby (child)
- What surrounds us? (His Love)
- What does Heavenly Father hear? (your prayers)
- How does He feel about children? (He loves the children)
- Fill-in-the-Blank: the kingdom of _____? (heav’n)
For another fun use of a song trivia, see the I Will Walk with Jesus Just Lyrics activity in this post!
A Child’s Prayer Song Trivia
Printable Singing Time Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page trivia guide for the 1st verse.
It’s a color-coded page for with the lyrics and the trivia questions. This makes it easy for you to spot the answers and help the kids, if they need any assistance!
I’ve also included the 2nd verse, larger print formats, and an optional picture of a child and a father in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership. These bonus printables are included when A Child’s Prayer is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to teach this song, head over to our A Child’s Prayer Simple Actions singing time idea!
What other fun ways could you extend this A Child’s Prayer Song Trivia activity?