Hello, I’m so glad you’ve found this blog! I’m excited to help you get ready for your Singing Time with lesson plans, games, ideas, and inspiration. Here’s a quick guide to finding your way around Primary Singing to make the most of this website.
New Primary Music Leaders
Get started with this post to encourage you on your new calling, and help you with resources around the web: 5 Things Every New Primary Music Leader Should Know.
The questions I see asked the most in Facebook groups about Singing Time are all about: Am I doing enough? What should my Singing Time look like? How many songs should I teach each week?
We’re all completely different in how we might lead and conduct. But this post I’ve shared, with an Example of a Typical Singing Time, will be really helpful in showing you how I typically use the ideas I share here. You can, of course, adapt any of the activities to fill the whole Singing Time block if needed.
For crazy Covid times, this post on Singing Time Ideas for Home Church can be an invaluable resource to help you keep Primary music alive, even with unique circumstances!
Another helpful place to start is to check out the Learning Styles tab. There I share information about the different learning styles people use to learn and remember things with a link to 12 games/ideas/activities for each learning style!
You’ll also want to check out this post on recommended supplies for Music Leaders!
Helpful Posts for New
Primary Music Leaders:
Singing Time Planning Resources:
- How to Plan a Year of Singing Time Lessons (Quickly!)
- Song Planner Worksheet *Easily plan Singing Time lessons!
- Using a Singing Time Binder!
- Printable Monthly/Yearly Song List
- Planning a Primary Program Tips & Ideas
- Come, Follow Me: 4-Year Song Lists Comparison Chart!
- Suggested 4-Year Rotation of Come, Follow Me Songs
Singing Time Ideas & Helps:
- How to Teach a Primary Song
- Example of a Typical Singing Time
- 5 Things Every New Primary Music Leader Should Know
- How to Teach the Gospel Through Primary Songs
- Singing Time Ideas for Home Church
- How to Prepare for a Primary New Year
- Simple Ways to Involve More Kids in Singing Time
- Singing Time Games & Activities Master List
- 7 Best Primary Singing Time Blogs + 70 Other Website Links!
All About Primary Flip Charts:
- Flip Chart Printables Master List!
- How to Make & Use Flip Charts
- Tips & Tricks for Using Flip Charts in Primary
- Creating a Primary Program Lyrics Book
- 10 Singing Time Ideas Using Flip Charts
Using Instruments & Manipulatives In Primary:
- Recommended Supplies for Music Leaders
- Ideas for Using Dance Scarves in Primary
- How to Use Rhythm Sticks in Primary
- Using Ribbon Wands in Singing Time
- Introduction to Using Egg Shakers in Primary
- How to Make Hand Bell Music Charts
Teaching Primary Songs by Learning Styles:
Learn how to teach with Learning Styles here or dive right into our explanation of different ideas and activities by learning style here:
- 12 Purposeful Movement Activities
- 12 Word Activities for Singing Time
- 12 Logical Conclusion activities for Singing Time
- 12 Visual Intrigue Singing Time Activities
- 12 Spiritual Connection Activities for Singing Time
- 12 People Interaction Activities in Singing Time
- 12 Living Music Activities for Singing Time
- 7 Nature and Senses Activities
Helpful Primary Printables:
- How to Conduct Primary Music with Mini Conducting Course!
- Primary Substitutes Sign-up Sheet
- Monthly Articles of Faith Printable for the Podium
- Article of Faith Printable Posters
- Primary Enter & Exit Printable Signs
Other Primary Ideas & Resources:
- How to Make a Singing Time Clock Cover
- Primary Christmas Songbook
- Singing Time Bingo Challenge (Fun at Home, too!)
- Nursery Singing Time Ideas
In My Primary Singing Printables Shop:
To help subsidize the huge amount of time I spend sharing ideas here, I have just a few files that I’ve created for sale. I only mark items as a paid product when they’re highly reusable and offer a TON of value! I hope you’ll love these as much as I do! Thanks for supporting a small business!
Singing Time Organization:
Primary Singing Time Action Cards:
- Dance Scarves Movement Cards
- Rhythm Sticks Pattern Cards
- Ribbon Wand Action Cards
- Egg Shaker Beat Pattern Cards
- Hand Bells Music Note Cards
- BUNDLE SET of all 5 printable cards!
Singing Time Lesson Plans:
You can alternatively shop through my Primary Singing Etsy store which accepts more payment types. The listing prices are slightly higher to accommodate all the Etsy fees.
Navigating Primary Singing
Use our visual primary singing time ideas index to easily and quickly find just what you’re looking for from our archives! There are 3 ways to sort through the more than 200 singing time lesson plans we’ve created!
- Sort by Category: Such as this years songs, flip charts, getting organized, etc.
- Sort by Learning Style: Pick a style such as visual, logical, or people interaction to find ideas that fit!
- Sort by Song: Or, pick the song you’re teaching and find all of our lesson plans specific to that song! Be mindful here that you can find TONS of ideas that can easily be adapted to any song!
The Singing Time Outlines page is a landing page to help direct you to posts by the yearly outline and by song. You can click on the song you’re looking for and it will direct you to the archives for all posts tagged with that category. Be sure to flip back to previous pages for all the lesson plans under each archives page!
Watch for our posts with our monthly outline of songs, games, and lesson plans we’ll be using. This will help you see an idea of how you can arrange and plan for your 20 minutes of Singing Time.
Sort my posts by the type of learning style you are looking for. This is a great way to find new ideas (or learn how to implement some of the ideas from my song planner worksheet). Even if the lesson plan covers a different song, you can slightly adapt the idea to fit the songs you are working on for the year!
Be sure to visit the learning styles landing page!! It has a quick link to all the posts I’ve shared that explain the different types of learning styles with 12 different ideas you can easily implement and use with ANY Primary song!
On the Flip Charts landing page, you’ll find all the printable flip charts we’ve created for the songs I’ve taught and used in Primary. There are flip charts for the program songs, wiggle songs, as well as fun printables (with fill-in-the-blank dry erase spots) for birthday and welcome songs!
Visit the Games & Ideas page to search for different games and lesson plans by type. Our list is broken down by type – learn the song, review the song, practice a mix of songs, and even ideas for Senior Primary and by seasons!
And just for fun, so they don’t get buried and lost, here’s all of our review games listed for reference!
Primary Songs Review Games:
- Stars and Stripes Primary Song Review Game
- Primary Song Review Game Read My Lips
- Primary Review Game: Silent Singer
- Candy for Courage Primary Review Game
- Singing Bee Review Game
- Primary Review Game March Madness
- Primary Song Guess Game Review
Subscribe for Email Updates
Get updates of the new posts and lesson plans on Primary Singing right to your inbox! I’ll send out emails no more than once a week with our activities and plans for the month.
Subscribers also get a DISCOUNT in my shop and EXCLUSIVE printables, just for my loyal email subscribers!
I love comments, they help me know what other information you need in a post and can be a great resource to help share additional ideas for other readers! Thanks for visiting, and I look forward to connecting with you. If you’re looking to learn more about this blog, how it got started, or about me head over to the about me page to answer all your questions!
If you find this blog helpful, the very best way you can tell me thank you is by sharing my blog! That helps others find these resources and makes all the efforts much more meaningful for me as I see people start to use my ideas that I’ve spent hours and hours sharing! 🙂
You can pin, post to Facebook, tell a friend, whatever. Just please use the links, and don’t share my printables/images directly as they are protected by copyright! Thank you, thank you!