Do you teach hymns in your Primary? Behold the Great Redeemer Die is one of the recommended this songs included in the New Testament Primary Songs for Come Follow Me list in June. I like to include at least one hymn each year as the kids always love when they recognize a song during Sacrament meeting.
You’ll have fun teaching this song with this Behold the Great Redeemer Die Trivia Quiz! It breaks down the lyrics into a fun trivia questionnaire the kids can easily answer. If they get stuck on any answer, just sing the song again and accentuate the lyrics answer as you sing!
Behold the Great Redeemer Die – Trivia Quiz
How to Play:
Sing through Behold the Great Redeemer Die hymn (flip chart here) once first, before introducing this activity. It’ll be a great review before getting started.
Ask the children the first trivia question and have them each raise their hands if they think they know the correct answer.
If they get it right, let them come up front to help lead the music. If not, great try, but that’s not quite right. Who else thinks they know?
Sing through the song again and remind them to listen for the answers! For an easier challenge, you can read the trivia question first, then sing the first, and then seek for answers.
Continue to answer trivia questions and alternate between singing through the verse to build in lots of song repetition.
1st Verse Trivia Questions:
- What word is used in this song to describe the Savior? (Answer: great)
a. Brave b. Great c. Loving
- What was broken? (Answer: law)
- Why did Jesus die? (Answer: as a sacrifice for sin)
- Who did he die for? (Answer: man)
- What does the song say we can win? _ _ _ _ _ (Answer: glory)
Behold the great Redeemer die,
A broken law to satisfy.
He dies a sacrifice for sin,
He dies a sacrifice for sin,
That man may live and glory win.
- Divide the Primary room into two teams and invite one child from each team to come up front. Let them hit a desk bell if they know the answer – first to ring gets to answer! If both children get the answer wrong, let the first to ring consult with the rest of the team to come together to pick an answer.
- Have them stand or clap for the answer to the previous trivia answer to add some fun!
- Use the trivia posters and let the whole room ponder on the answer, then stand if they were correct the next time you sing through the song!
For another fun trivia game, head over to see this activity for teaching When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Song Trivia here.
Behold the Great Redeemer Die
This free printable includes a 1-page guide to the trivia questions and where the answers are from the lyrics. It covers 5 easy questions for the 1st verse that help better explain what the verse is talking about so you can explain it easier to the children why you’re learning this song!
You’ll find a printable lesson plan and trivia question posters, plus additional questions for the 2nd verse all included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when Behold the Great Redeemer Die is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to teach Behold the Great Redeemer Die, head over to see this silent video idea!
What other fun ways could you extend or incorporate this Behold the Great Redeemer Die trivia activity into your singing time?