This is a fun and engaging way to help you teach Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus in your Singing Time with the Primary children. You’ll tap along with the rhythm with a pattern that works through the song matching the meaning of the lyrics. Continue on to see this Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Rhythm Sticks activity directions!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Rhythm Sticks
Sing through Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus (flip chart here) once before bringing out the rhythm sticks.
Sing through the first two lines of the song and demonstrate the pattern. It should be really easy to pick up!
You’ll show them tapping the rhythm sticks together like an x crossed each other then rubbing one stick up and down the other stick as it is held steady.
You’ll tap on “Said” and rub on “Samuel” and then repeat with “With-“ and rub on “-in five years”. Then, Tap above your head forming an arch on each word: “A / night / will / be / as / day”.
Pass out the rhythm sticks and try the pattern together for the first two lines.
Show the pattern for the next two lines. Try that pattern together as you sing.
Start at the beginning and sing through the song with the whole pattern so far.
Continue to demonstrate the pattern 2 lines at a time and starting at the beginning building up the pattern as you go.
Rhythm Sticks Pattern:
- Tap as an X then rub one stick on the other, repeat – Said Samuel within five years
- Tap as an X 6 times in an arch overhead – A night will be as day
- Hold both rhythm sticks together and rock like a baby – Baby Jesus will be born
- Hold one stick out and tap out in front of you – land far, far aw-ay
- Tap both on your lap and then tap as an X twice, repeat 3 times – Hosanna! Hosanna!
- Use one rhythm stick to conduct music – Oh, let us gladly sing.
- Spin sticks like bicycle pedals around each other – How blessed that our Lord was born
- Tap an X up high, to the right, down low, then to the left – Let earth receive her King!
- Draw waves of the sea with one stick – Across the sea
- Tap an X, tap with other hand on top, and then switch again – in Bethlehem
- Tap as an X twice high, then lower, then lower – Lord Jesus came to earth
- Hold both sticks together high, right, down, then left – As Samuel had prophesied,
- Tap rhythm stick to palm 6 times – And angels sang His birth.
- Let the kids help you change up the pattern and pick one spot to make their own! Which one do they want to swap? Start there and you can continue to make a unique pattern.
- Split the room into 2 groups and sings and which side does the pattern.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Kindness Begins with Me Partner Rhythms singing time activity!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Rhythm Sticks Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page rhythm sticks pattern guide for the 1st verse.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including the 2nd verse, larger pattern guide, and black and white option. You’ll find these bonus files included when Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Continue over to our Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Melody Map activity next. You’ll visually teach the movement of the notes in this great way to teach the song for visual and logical learners.
What other fun ways will you use this Rhythm Sticks singing time activity in your Primary room?