You will love this fun Teach Me to Walk in the Light Hide & Seek activity! This simple, zero cost review activity is a great way to review Teach Me to Walk in the Light this month in primary!
I fondly remember playing this hide and seek activity from my own experiences as a child in primary. Though it is hard to pinpoint who first came up with this activity, it’s a great way to review primary songs while having fun!
**Head Here to See all 12 Teach Me to Walk in the Light Singing Time Ideas!**
This year in singing time I’ll be teaching Teach Me to Walk in the Light during the month of August. You may have started teaching this song earlier in the year, depending on how you plan singing time for the year.
Teach Me to Walk in the Light shows up a few times on this year’s Old Testament Singing Time list. If you’ve already started teaching this song, the summer time is a great time to return to some older songs and review!
Whether you’re teaching this song for the first time or reviewing, you will love this Hide & Seek review activity!
How to Play ‘Hide & Seek’:
For this activity, you’ll just need an item to hide during primary. You could choose anything from a stuffed animal to a piece of paper. I’ve created a cute printout of a lightbulb that you can use as the hidden item.
At the beginning of primary, review the first verse of Teach Me to Walk in the Light using our flipchart!
Explain to the children that you’ll be playing a game of ‘hide and seek.’ Show them the item you’ll be hiding. Explain that one child will leave the room and come back to search for the hidden item.
The primary children can help the child find the item by singing loudly when they are close to the item. When they move further away from the item, have the children sing quietly.
Once the children are feeling confident in the words, ask for a volunteer to be the “seeker.” Invite this child to leave the room for a minute (have a teacher go with them).
While the child is out of the room, have the rest of the primary choose a hiding spot for the secret item. For the first few times, encourage the children to choose a spot that isn’t too challenging.
Helping the Seeker
While the seeker looks for the missing item, have the children help by singing Teach Me to Walk in the Light. If the seeker is far away from the item, have the children sing quietly. As the seeker gets closer or “warmer” to the item, have the children increase in volume.
If the seeker is having a difficult time finding the item, you can help by giving a few clues. Once the item is found, choose a new seeker and keep singing!
- Choose a small item to hide during primary.
- At the beginning of singing time, review the lyrics to Teach Me to Walk in the Light. If teaching more than one verse, review one verse at a time.
- Show the children the item you will be hiding and explain that one child will be looking for the item.
- Have one child leave the room.
- While the child is out of the room, have the children choose a hiding spot for the item.
- Once the item is hidden, have the child come back in the room and start looking for the item.
- To help the seeker, children will sing a verse loudly when the seeker is close to the item. As the seeker moves further from the item, have the children sing quietly.
- Continue repeating one verse of Teach Me to Walk in the Light while the seeker searches for the hidden item.
- Once the item is found, choose another child and review another verse!
- Use this activity as a review for multiple songs! On colored or copy paper, write the names of the songs you have been learning in primary this year. Cut out each name and place in a jar or bowl. Allow the seeker to choose a song from the jar for the class to sing!
- Blindfold the seeker. Have the seeker chose a helper to guide them through the room. The guide is allowed to know where the missing item is, and they can help the seeker find the item. For an alternate way, have the “guide” go out of the room too!
- Have a teacher search for the hidden item! Have all the children practice the song by helping the teacher find the item with loud VS soft dynamics.
For a unique twist on a hide and seek game, head over to see our Search Ponder and Pray Scripture Hunt!
Teach Me to Walk in the Light Hide & Seek Printable Lesson Plan
Since this activity is pretty simple, I’ll keep the printable short and sweet! I’ve created a 2-page printable that includes activity instructions as well as a printable ‘lightbulb’ to use as the missing item.
If you choose to use the lightbulb for your missing item, simply print and cut out the lightbulb and hide it in primary! Laminate the lightbulb so that you can use it again and again!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to review Teach Me to Walk in the Light this month, check out this Teach Me to Walk in the Light Dark vs Light activity!