If you are new into this calling around back to school time, this is the PERFECT first activity to kickstart your new calling. You’ll use a fortune teller to get to know the children better and have an engaging activity to review your choice of song or let the kids pick their favorite song to sing. This Back to School Get to Know You Cootie Catcher includes themed prompts on each school subject.
Back to School Cootie Catcher
Invite a child to come up front and pick their favorite subject. Spell out the subject as the first step of the fortune teller. Let them pick a number and count that number out. Then, let them pick a number and open the inside to reveal a question. Ask them the getting to know you question.
Now, sing through your song of choice or let them pick their favorite Primary song to sing! Continue to invite children to come up and share their favorites and pick new songs to sing!
Getting to Know You Questions by School Subject
- What is a hard problem you have solved?
- How old are you?
- What’s your favorite book?
- How do you spell your name?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What weather do you like best?
- What’s your favorite place?
- Who is one person you want to meet?
How to Fold the Fortune Teller:
- You can use our printable normal sized fortune teller included or make a large one out of poster board! Either way, you’ll follow the steps outlined.
- First, cut out the square along the outer edge of the design.
- Fold the square outward in half along each of the blue lines with words showing when folding. Unfold.
- Flip the paper over so you see the blank white side of the paper. Fold the 4 outside points of the square inward until all 4 points meet at the center. As the points fold in, you’ll line up the paper along the blue lines and creases you made earlier, making a new crease on the bright green lines as you fold.
- After folding in all four points inward, flip over the fortune teller so the numbers are facing down.
- Align the paper like a diamond with a point facing towards you. Fold the pointed ends into the center, repeat with all 4 points meeting at the center.
- Pinch under the colored words and fold upward into a fortune teller.
- Add a large dice to roll to the game! Assign 6 different songs to numbers and sing whichever is rolled.
- Print out one fortune teller for each child. Go through the steps to fold a fortune teller together. Then, go through the steps of picking an item/color and then numbers and do so together as a group!
- Use the blank Fortune teller and have the children help you fill in questions or related ways to sing!
- Make a MONSTER sized fortune teller out of poster board!
For more fortune teller ideas, head over to see our St Patrick’s Day fortune teller singing time activity!
Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page Back to School getting to know you cootie catcher! It’s perfect for jumping right in with this activity.
You’ll find an additional fortune teller for electives and ways to sing actions for each subject included in the INSTANT Primary Singing in the August Book of Mormon year packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun back to school themed activity, you’ve got to see this simple and so fun Pick a Pencil Singing time idea!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?