Are you looking for a super fun fall themed singing time activity that will bring in the season AND let you sing through a mix of songs you want to teach or review? You’ll love this Fall Bobbing for Apples game!
Choose your songs of choice to sing through or stick with 1 or 2 songs to sing on repeat as you pick a different activity each time based on which apple is collected. You can play this game like a traditional bob for apples or use one of my swaps for an indoor friendly activity.
Bobbing for Apples Game
Print out your apples of choice. I would recommend 12-18 apples. I can usually get through about 8-10 songs in 20 minutes with a short way to pick your song, like this activity. You’ll want at least a few extra apples in the mix so that you don’t run out and have extras so even your last volunteer gets to pick from a few options!
Write your song titles on the apples if desired, or use the numbered apples or ways to sing apples – whichever style works best for you.
Laminate your apple cards so they are waterproof. If you don’t have a laminator, you can put your apple cards into a Ziploc bag instead. Or, skip the water with the alternate way to play in the extension activities.
Fill a bucket with water and add your apples! Or, string a line and pin up your apples!
How to Play:
Invite a child to come up front to help you “bob” for apples.
Let the child pick an apple in one of these fun ways:
- Play traditional and let them dunk their face to grab an apple using only their mouth. Make sure you have a towel handy!
- Let them use their choice of utensil to retrieve an apple. You might bring a mix of useful and silly utensils such as tongs, spatula, measuring cup, ladle, ice cream scoop, chopsticks, potato smasher, whisk, etc.
- Let them simply pick, using their hands, their choice of apple. Simple and quick!
Reveal the song title, number, or way to sing from the apple and then sing!
Alternate Ways to “Bob”:
- String up the apples on a line instead of floating in a bowl. This is a great way for everyone to see all the apples and to keep water out of the Primary room for less mess.
- Add a magnet to the back of your apples and put them up on the board. Use one of the 3 ways to pull your apples from above to pick your apple!
- Let the kids bob for an apple with a fun way to sing instead and you pick the songs to sing. You can review a single song over and over or go through your song list in order.
- Hide the apples around the room and play a game of hot and cold or hide and seek as you let a child seek for an apple and use that as your next song to sing.
- Add the apple cards to empty 20oz or 2-liter soda bottles and go bowling for apples! Let your volunteer pick from one of the songs from the numbers knocked over.
- Split the room into 2-3 teams by color. Have them try to only pick their colored apples. Flip them over for a surprise color drawn! You can award points per team, if desired.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Halloween Paper Pumpkins singing time activity!
Fall Bobbing for Apples Printable Game
This free in-post printable includes a page of 1/6 sized red apples! Just print out how many apples you’ll need or would like to include, and write your song titles on the front.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including blank apples in 3 colors and black and white in 1/6 page, 1/4 page, and 1/2 page print sizes! Plus, 6 ways to sing apple cards. You’ll find these bonus files included in the October New Testament packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun fall themed singing time activity, head over to see this Trick Treat or Sing activity!
What other fun ways will you use this Bobbing for Apples singing time activity in your Primary room?