Sing through a fun mix of your choice of Fall or Halloween Primary songs this October with these adorable Halloween Paper Pumpkin Carvings! Pick your songs to review your program song list, introduce next year’s songs, or simply sing through a good mix of songs of your choice that match different themed pumpkins!
You can even shine a flashlight through the back of the flashlight to light it up like a Halloween pumpkin! This is the latest in our series of super fun Halloween Singing Time ideas to help you incorporate the holiday in a fun way that doesn’t detract from Primary.
Halloween Paper Pumpkin Carvings
Paper Pumpkin Preparation:
Pick your style of pumpkins that best fit your need. The colored pumpkins with white icons can use a flashlight behind them to “shine” like a Jack ‘O Lantern.
Or, use the colored with dark icons to just show the carvings, without adding any light. You can also print the black and white version on colored paper.
You can use an exacto knife and cutting mat to cut out the dark icon outlines and then laminate your pumpkins to create shadow cards! You’ll then shine a flashlight from the back through the front towards the children.
It will make a big shadow and light of the cutout on the wall behind. This is a lot more time intensive then just print and play, but it can be a lot of fun if you want to invest the time and effort.
How to Play:
Pick the pumpkins you want to use. Pick and choose to match specific songs you want to teach. You can pick from the different icons to match your Primary Program songs for review or introduce your songs for the next year or any other combination.
Let a child come up front and pick one of the pumpkins. Have them shine a flashlight from the back of the paper, a little ways behind, so that the light covers all of the white colored icon and shines a light through the pumpkin like it is lit up for Halloween!
Sing through your song you have pre-selected to match that particular pumpkin based on it’s icon.
Continue to have a new helper come up front and pick out a pumpkin from the patch, light it up, and then sing through the song pick.
Paper Pumpkin Song Ideas List
To help you get started brainstorming, here are some different song ideas you could match with the different pumpkin icons:
- A Child’s Prayer
- Did You Think to Pray
- Follow the Prophet
- Search, Ponder and Pray
- Book of Mormon Stories
- As I Search the Holy Scriptures
- Teach Me to Walk in the Light
- I Am Like a Star
- Stars Were Gleaming
- Away in a Manger
- He Sent His Son
- Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus
- Nephi’s Courage
- Stand for the Right
- Dare to Do Right
- Jack O’ Lantern:
- Kid’s choice!
- Include all of the pumpkins and let the children pick any pumpkin they would like. Let them pick a Primary song they love that the pumpkin reminds them of. You can help prompt them with some ideas, if needed, using the song list.
- Have a couple songs that you have taught since you have been called as a music leader ready for each pumpkin. Let the kids pick from 2-3 song picks when they pick their pumpkin! This would be a wonderful “farewell” singing time for a recently released music leader to sing through a lot of the kids favorite songs in a cute and fun way!
- Pass out finger lights (make sure the battery compartment is glued closed) and let the kids draw out the songs as you sing through them or point to the pumpkin or try to draw the specific icons for the pumpkin picked!
- Hide the pumpkins around the room and let a child go on a pumpkin hunt while you sing a song to pick the next pumpkin!
For another fun holiday activity, head over to see this Thankful Turkey singing time activity for Thanksgiving!
Paper Pumpkin Carvings Printable Helps
This free in-post printable includes 6 cute paper pumpkin carvings including in 1/2 page size: Speech, Book, Star, Stable, Arrow, plus a cute Jack O’ Lantern face!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including all 16 Paper Pumpkin styles and a blank pumpkin in full page, 1/2 page, and 1/4 page sizes with both color and black and white printables! Plus, a pumpkin icon 1-page and song list! You’ll find all these bonus files included in the October New Testament packet!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun themed activity to incorporate this October, head over to see this Halloween Bucket Toss game that’s low prep and lots of fun!
What other fun ways will you use this Paper Pumpkin Carvings singing time activity in your Primary room?