Get up and move your feet with this fun The Church of Jesus Christ Dance Party purposeful movement singing time idea! Try these fun dance moves while reviewing The Church of Jesus Christ in primary this month!
The Church of Jesus Christ Dance Party
When I was a primary music leader, my kids LOVED movement activities! They were always so attentive anytime I taught actions or added movement. Use this activity to add some fun dance moves while learning this song!
This activity requires little to no prep! Just grab our printable action cards later in this post and get ready to dance! At the beginning of singing time, review The Church of Jesus Christ (lyrics here).
Dance party! Everyone up out of their seats! We’ll be trying out some fun dance moves in primary today. Be sure to give a reminder about reverence in singing time. Fun activities require listening ears to follow directions.
You’ll find 4 action cards later in this post that you can use to prompt movement throughout the song. Post all 4 actions on the board and demonstrate each one. Have the kids try each action with you! Then, shuffle the cards and have the pianist begin playing the song.
Hold up one card at a time and have the kids do the action while singing. Switch actions throughout the song. No need to create a specific pattern – Just choose a move and try it out!
At the end of singing time, have everyone sit back down while you share a few thoughts about the message of the song. Finish by singing the song one more time while sitting to help bring reverence to the room.
4 FUN Dance Moves to Use:
Here are just 4 dance moves to try for this activity! I chose these actions specifically because they are simple and easy to teach! Feel free to add some simple arm movements to pair with these actions.
- STOMP: Stomp your feet to the rhythm!
- TIP TOE: Stand on your tip toes
- ZIG ZAG: Shuffle your feet in a zig zag pattern. Zig zag in a circle.
- DANCE: Freestyle! Show off your best moves!
What other dance moves can you think of? I’m sure your primary kids will be able to give you lots of additional ideas! You can also find extra movement cards with Instant Primary Singing!
- Choose a child to come to the front of the room and lead the song. Have them choose which dance moves to do during the song. When the song is over, pick a new leader!
- Use this activity to review multiple primary songs! This can be a great program prep idea. Write a primary song on the back of each action card. Have a child choose a dance move to determine which song to sing. Choose certain key words in the song and have the kids do the dance move when singing a key word.
- Split the class into 3-4 groups and give each group one action card. Have each group create a dance pattern for the song that must include their action. Perform it for the class!
- If you want to add movement but aren’t sure if your primary kids will be able to be reverent, try yoga poses instead! Head over to this post to get some ideas for using yoga in primary or grab our yoga cards here for some movements to try out!
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Simple Fruit Rhythm Patterns singing time activity!
The Church of Jesus Christ Dance Party Video Demo
We have several how-to videos on our Primary Singing YouTube Channel. Watch this short demo video to see all 4 of the actions used in this activity. In this video, I demonstrate the actions and provide some additional ideas for this activity!
The Church of Jesus Christ Dance Party Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page with 4 fun dance moves to mix-and-match and try! Just print and go!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including 4 additional dance moves and full page cards! You’ll find these bonus files included when The Church of Jesus Christ is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to this The Church of Jesus Christ Body Rhythm Partners for a fun movement pattern to try while reviewing this song!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?