You’ll have so much fun teaching The Church of Jesus Christ song with this way to dive into the lyrics and how they connect with each other. This The Church of Jesus Christ Compare & Sort activity you’ll break down the lyrics into truths and actions and divide the lyric strips into these two categories!
The Church of Jesus Christ Compare & Sort
How to Play:
Sing through The Church of Jesus Christ song (flip chart here) once before you introduce this activity.
Put your two categories Truths and Actions on the top of the board – one on the left and one on the right.
Ask the children to listen and see if they can find a truth that you sing about in the song. Sing through the song again with the children specifically listening for “truths.”
Ask the children what truths did they hear? Add the truths that they heard to the board under that heading. They’ll include:
- Who I am
- God’s plan
- The Savior
- Jesus Christ
If they missed any, you can give them a clue and have them listen again as you sing through the song. For example, who do we have a truth in? See if you can catch it!
Next, let’s see what actions we can take because of those truths. Listen for the things you can DO! Sing through the song again hunting for those phrases again. This list includes:
- Follow him
- Honor his name
- Do what is right
- Follow his light
- Proclaim truth (“His truth I will proclaim”)
Did they find all 5? Again you can give them a hint of which one to look for next.
Or simply tell them, for example, there’s one more we haven’t found yet – let’s see if we can find the last one! Let’s sing again and find the action!
Ask the children what’s one of the actions that they will try to do this week?
- Let the children sort all of the phrases by category instead. After singing through the song the first time, invite 2 children to come up front to help you see if they can sort the 9 word strips into the two categories. Let’s test it – sing through the song and see if they are in the right spot! Repeat with another 2 helpers to unscramble again.
- Add one truth or action (you can alternate or go in order) at a time after you sing through the song. Ask the children a question to help them think about the truth or action. That might be:
- How have you learned this truth?
- What is a way you can deepen your faith in… (insert truth phrase)?
- How have you… (insert action phrase)?
- What is one way you can.. (insert action phrase)?
- Hand each child or class the choices worksheet and have them think about each of the phrases from the song while you sing it. Mark the box they think in belongs in. Is it a truth or an action? Make sure you explain what you mean by each category.
- Unscramble the first line of the song or just the name of the church and explain to the children WHY we are being asked to use the correct name. President Nelson’s talk is a great reference point.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Kindness Begins with Me Unscramble singing time activity!
Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes 3-pages with the two titles and then word strips for each of the categories.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including 1-page size, colorful keywords, 4 categories, and I Belong phrase unscramble. You’ll find these bonus files included when The Church of Jesus Christ song is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another way to review this song, head over to this The Church of Jesus Christ Song Testimony activity!
What other fun ways will you use this Compare & Sort singing time activity in your Primary room?