This easy no-prep Help Me Dear Father First Letters singing time idea is an engaging way to help the kids learn the words and challenge them as they work through a code to crack and a puzzle to solve for those logical learners!
Help Me Dear Father First Letters
This is a wonderful activity to help focus on remembering the words of Help Me Dear Father with a little guidance with the first letters and a few fun symbols. There are lots of ways to add in repetition and it’s no-prep!
How to Play:
*Downloads are available at the bottom of the post when signed in!*
Sing through Help Me Dear Father (flip chart here) once before introducing this activity.
Post up the first letter poster for the verse you want to work on up on the board. Let’s sing through the song again and this time you can see what you notice on this poster. See what clues you can find.
After you sing through the song, ask for what the kids noticed. Take one of the answers, such as I see a smiley face or there are arrows pointy up. Oh, yes, I see those too! What could that mean? Let’s sing it again and watch for those symbols!
Continue singing through the song and decoding the first letters chart and symbols.
For example, this line is:
H =) D ⬆ 2 F F / Help me dear Father to freely forgive
- =) reference me/my/I
- ⬆ up arrows are references to Heavenly Father
- 2 references to
- # In the colored version, I added one more symbol to up the challenge. The # references “Help”. It looks like an H but also represents that we can’t do it on our own.
- Instead, you can start with posting the first letters and see if the kids can guess the song. Give them 3 guesses. Then, have the music leader play the first line of music and take another 3 guesses. If they still need help, hum along and add some hand symbols.
- Cut out the first letters into strips and have the kids help you get them back in order while decoding. Which one comes first? Then, can you find the one that comes next? Do you notice any that are the same? (The repeating chorus).
- Have the kids alternate singing by word strip – right, left, right, left. Now swap and the left side of the room goes first!
- Pop up and back down quickly every time you sing a smiley face word that references yourself!
After you’ve grabbed this fun lesson plan (grab the PDF below), you’ll also love this unique idea for using First Letters with Actions to teach I Know My Father Lives!
Help Me Dear Father First Letters Printable Singing Time Lesson Plan
This printable lesson plan includes an overview of how to use this activity in singing time with fun extension ideas to adapt the lesson to fit your Primary!
You can then print the 1-page poster with a single page per verse with chorus. Or, instead choose the 4-page printable with a page per verse and chorus for both the first and second verse.
This is a colorful option with a large text and room to cut out the first letter code into long strips to mix and match until they’re all in the correct order!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Did your Primary enjoy this Help Me Dear Father First Letters singing time idea? Let us know how it went in the comments!