I hope you just LOVE this fun I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Silly Word Swap! I’ve used silly lyrics in primary before and my primary kids enjoyed it so much!
For this representation of words activity, just swap out one word of each phrase in the song with a silly lyric! Work together to switch out each silly word for the correct song lyrics!
Or, recruit the kiddos to help you come up with their own silly words with the Primary Mad Lib template for this song!
*12 Ideas for Teaching I Hope They Call Me on a Mission Singing Time Ideas*
I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Silly Word Swap
This activity is so fun and SO simple! I really enjoyed going through each phrase of I Hope They Call Me On a Mission. While I was reading through the lyrics, it wasn’t too hard to think of a silly lyric to throw into each phrase.
For this activity, swap each silly word for the correct song lyric as you practice I Hope They Call Me On a Mission. There is a printable lesson plan later in the post that includes each phrase of the song with a silly word written in!
As you sing, post one silly word phrase on the board at a time and have the kids try to figure out which word is out of place! Then, have them write the correct song lyric in the phrase.
For another fun way to play, use this activity as a MadLib! I have lots of memories of playing MadLibs as a kid.
The idea behind this is to have parts of speech or categories written with blanks for you to fill in any word you choose! For example, in our MadLib, we ask you to come up with words for categories such as “Ways of measurement” or “school subject.” Fill out these words BEFORE looking at the lyrics of the song.
Then, you use the words you chose and insert them into the story. We’ve created a MadLib template of our very own that includes one page with topics or categories that you get to choose words for. Then, insert the new words into the song for a funny reading!
Silly Word Swap Examples:
Here are some of the fun silly phrases I created by replacing one word in the phrase with a silly lyric. Check out more of the examples in the printable later in this post!
- I hope they text me on a mission (replaced “call” with “text”)
- When I have grown an inch or two (replaced “foot” with “inch”)
- I hope by then I can be worried (replaced “ready” with “worried”)
- To teach and preach and sweat as missionaries die (replaced “work” with “sweat”)
- Before primary, prepare phrases with one word of the phrase swapped for a silly word. Type or write out each silly phrase.
- Begin primary by singing both verses of I Hope They Call Me on a Mission (lyrics here!)
- Then, bring out one of the silly phrases (be prepare for lots of laughs) and see if the children can swap the silly word with the correct song lyric.
- Sing through the song again, and bring out another silly phrase! While you sing, have a child come up and cross out the silly word and write the correct word on the board.
- Continue singing through the song and correcting the silly phrases!
- Conclude with your testimony of sharing the gospel and serving as a missionary.
- Make it a race! Give each class their own set of silly words and see which class can replace the silly words with the correct lyrics the fastest!
- On one side of the whiteboard, post the silly phrases. On the other side of the board, write out the correct song lyrics in mixed up order. Connect the silly phrases with the correct lyric with a line.
- Have the children come up with their own silly phrases! See what they can come up with and have them quiz each other to see if they can find the correct song lyrics. You can use our Mad Lib fill in the blank cheat sheet below and then fill in each of the words they picked.
For another fun word game, try this Follow the Prophet Word Swap activity!
I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Silly Word Swap Printable Lesson Plan
Use silly word swap printable lesson plan to help you prepare for this fun singing time activity! All the instructions for the activity can be found on the first page. This page also includes 3 additional ways to play!
Pages 2-5 include each phrase of the song with one word of the phrase replaced with a silly word. Pages 6-10 include a fun MadLib idea for this activity. Print out all the pages and have some fun with this activity!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun review activity, head over to this I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Lyrics Scramble!
Which of these silly word phrases do you love the most? What silly phrases will you add?
This post may also be available in: English Español