Logical games are always a hit in singing time, especially with Senior primary! This fun I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Lyrics Scramble is a great way to review I Hope they Call Me On a Mission this month in primary!
For this activity, primary children will have be given phrases of the song written backwards! Their job will be to unscramble the lyrics while they sing!
*12 Ideas for Teaching I Hope They Call Me on a Mission Singing Time Ideas*
How to Play I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Lyric Scramble
Some of my most enjoyable primary lessons have been when children have a bit of a challenge! I love watching the children be fully engaged in the activity and sing while they have some fun.
To prep for this activity, I’ve written out short phrases of the song backwards. I did this by writing out each word backwards and having the first word of the phrase come last.
I’ve created a printable lesson plan later in this post that contains the entire song written backwards. I’ve also included each phrase written forward and backward. Print out these pages before primary.
For this activity, children will be unscrambling phrases of the song! At the beginning of primary, start by reviewing both verses of I Hope they Call Me On a Mission. Then, post one of the phrases written backwards on the board. See if children can guess what it says!
Once they guess the first one, have them sing through the song again! Tape all the phrases to the board, including both the phrases backwards and written correctly. While you sing, have the children work together to unscramble the phrases and match the scrambled phrases with the right ones!
For a fun introduction activity, post the song written backwards on the board at the beginning of singing time. Have the children try to guess what song you’ll be learning! Then, start teaching this song using this flipchart!
There are so many different ways to use this activity! Once you match the scrambled lyrics with the correct words, try put the song in order! Have children rearrange the phrases in order while they sing!
- Before primary, write out 2 copies of the lyrics. Write out the first copy of the lyrics, then write another set of lyrics, but with the phrases written backwards. Cut the phrases into strips.
- Introduce the activity by writing one of the phrases backwards on the board.
- Review both verses of I Hope They Call Me On a Mission (flipchart here!) at the beginning of primary.
- Then, ask the children if they have unscrambled the mixed up phrase. When they guess it correctly, they’re ready for the activity!
- Bring out the rest of the mixed up phrases. Post the phrases written correctly on the board as well.
- Sing through the song again!
- Have the children work together to pair each unscrambled phrase with its match.
- Pair a few unscrambled phrases and repeat the song until you finish matching all the phrases!
- Give each class their own set of unscrambled words to match with the correctly written phrases! Use envelopes to keep all the phrases together.
- For a silly run through, have the children try to say the scrambled phrases! Once you match the unscrambled phrases, have the children try to slowly sing the scrambled phrases.
- Give each class a few phrases. Have them sing only the phrases they have. When other groups are singing, you can have them sing or snap along.
For another fun word game, try this Redeemer of Israel Lyric Art activity!
I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Lyrics Scramble Printable Lesson Plan
Use this I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Lyrics Scramble Printable Lesson Plan to help you prepare for this activity! The first page of the printable includes activity instructions, as well as some fun extension ideas.
The next two pages include both verses of the song. Page 2 has the words written out correctly, and page 3 has the song lyrics with each phrase written backwards! The rest of the printable includes larger font phrases of the song, written forward and backward.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to this fun I Hope They Call Me On a Mission Missionary Stories activity next!
Have any fun ideas for singing time? We’d love to hear them!