This fun Primary song review game today is going to bring back a classic game the kids are going to love! You just need a potato! Then, play this Hot Potato Review game in your Primary with whatever song you need to review and sing on repeat while having lots of fun in your Primary room.
Hot Potato Review Game
How to Play:
Bring in a literal potato!! Kids love the silly ideas best, from my experience.
This is a perfect themed game for St Patrick’s day as Ireland and potatoes go hand and hand as it was one of their main food sources through the major world wars. They use potatoes in a ton of Irish dishes. So, for a great way to sing through whatever songs you want and just have a slight nod to St Patrick’s day, you can play a game of hot potato!
As a substitute, you can use a bean bag or a small ball. I even have a cute printable potato if you’re in a pinch!
Sing through a song and have the children pass the potato down their row until the song ends. The child at the end is “it”.
A few ideas for playing Hot Potato:
- Stop the song randomly.
- Speed up the song at the end as you get closer and closer like a countdown timer.
- Let the child that is it get to pick the next song!
- The child that the potato ends on gets to help lead the song the next time through.
- Pass around 2 potatoes (one to each side of the room) for a larger Primary group.
- Use a small group of 5-7 volunteers to play up front to help the game be a little bit more focused. You can rotate the volunteers each time you sing through the song.
- Give a point to each side of the room that end with the potato to help it feel more inclusive of the whole room.
- Have them pass the potato on each WORD instead of as fast as they can.
- Have select keywords picked out and give a rolo to each child if the potato is on them for the special keyword!
For another fun themed activity like this game, head over to see this Singing Bee review game!
Printable Hot Potato Song Helps!
This post does not include a free printable. You can follow the directions in this post with a real potato to play a fun game of hot potato!
You’ll find adorable printable Hot Potato cards to use in place of a real potato included in the March Book of Mormon packet!
For another fun St. Patrick’s Day themed primary activity, play this St. Patrick’s Pot of Gold Bean Bag Toss game!
I can’t wait to hear how this Hot Potato Song Review game went with your Primary! What other fun ways could you adapt the hot potato game to use it for a singing time review game?