Here’s a fun way to teach this song with visual, logic, and help the kids better recognize the melody with this printable I Will Follow God’s Plan Melody Chart lesson plan! Each note and half note and held note are represented across the melody map.
Will you be teaching I Will Follow God’s Plan as part of your Come Follow Me New Testament Primary Songs this year? I’m working on lots of fun ways to teach this song!
** See 30 I Will Follow God’s Plan Singing Time Ideas **
I Will Follow God’s Plan Melody Chart
How to Play:
Sing through I Will Follow God’s Plan (Flipchart) once, before introducing your melody chart.
Turn to the melody chart up on the board or add it now. Act surprised, oh, look at this! I wonder why this is here! What might this picture map have to do with the song we just sang?
Let’s sing through the song and look for clues!
What patterns do you see? Talk about one of the patterns in this melody chart between each time singing through the song. You’ll get in lots of repetition and help building meaningful connections to the lyrics:
- Orange dots are always when it’s talking about ME! (I / Me / My)
- Orange often has a green or a red dot following it. My Life / I Will
- Some of the circles are cut in half – Half notes
- Some of the circles stretch long – Held notes
- Purple dots are talking about Heavenly Father (God / His)
- I see lots of arrows! They’re talking about different direction words (Come / Direct / Follow / Way / Above)
- Some symbols repeat, sing the same word more than once or hold it. (Plan, Holding, Above, Home, Earth, Happy)
- Happy face!! Following God’s plan makes me happy.
- Orange – References to Self = I / Me / My
- Green – “Life”
- Red – “Will”
- Purple – Reference to Diety = God / His
- Grey – All other words
- Icons represent a variety of words and have unique colors
- Mix up the charts (7 pages) and have the kids help you put them in the correct order!
- Sing only the grey words and silent sing all the rest of the words. This is great for helping the words “stick” in their mind.
- Sing out the icon words LOUD and whisper sing all the circles. The kids will love playing with dynamics!
For another really cool melody chart with a unique theme using the first letters and a variety of colors, head over to see this I Want to Live the Gospel Melody Chart!
Printable I Will Follow God’s Plan Melody Chart
This is a pretty long song, so the flip chart is 7 pages long! You can place the first 3 pages on top and then move to the last 4 pages as that best fits the natural break in the song.
If you don’t want to display the lyrics at the top, no worries at all! Just trim off the top edge or fold it behind. It’s there to help you practice with and connect to the notes and stay on track!
Need a more printer-friendly option? I’ve included a bonus black and white version that uses different shapes instead of colors. Plus, a printable lesson plan! You’ll find these extras included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when I Will Follow God’s Plan is a featured song of the month.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun way to teach this song, head over to see this I Will Follow God’s Plan Color & Match! Includes simple pictures to have the Primary children help you color in then match them to their part of the song.
What other fun ways could you extend this I Will Follow God’s Plan melody chart activity? How did it go over with your Primary children?
This post may also be available in: English Español