Today’s fun idea is an I Want to Live the Gospel Letters Melody Chart! The kids can decode the first letter of each word as they follow along with the notes as they rise and fall in this wonderful logic learning activity!
Did you know that I Want to Live the Gospel is ONLY featured in the Old Testament year of Primary Songs? I highly recommend spending a couple weeks with this song along with other songs you might be working to teach!
**See 20 fun ways to teach I Want to Live the Gospel Singing Time ideas & activities over here!**
I Want to Live the Gospel Letters Melody Chart
How to Play:
Sing through I Want to Live the Gospel once before introducing this melody chart.
Bring out the letters melody chart and ask the children what they notice. Ask them to watch the chart carefully while you sing.
Sing through the song again and then discuss something the children noticed.
- What do the different colors mean?
- How about the letters?
- Why does the line move up and down?
- Do you notice the dashes? What do they mean?
Sing through the song and discuss a different aspect of the chart after each time through the song.
You can work your way through one line of the song at a time or even unscramble the melody chart to get it back into the correct order!
- Break the Primary into 2, 3, or 4 group. Assign each group which colors to sing!
- Pick out a fun way to sing for each of the colors. Such as stand on red, stick out your tongue on blue, spin on yellow, etc.
- Combine a melody chart, first letters, AND a crack the code with colored first letters. This can also be an easier option to help non-readers follow along with the keywords by remembering where you’re at so far.
- Yellow – Self – I / My
- Blue – What we know – Gospel / Teachings / Plan
- Green – How we Act – Live / Follow / Do / Try
- Purple – Savior / He
- Orange – Desire & Commitment – Want(s) / Will
If you loved this singing time idea, you’ll also love our Love is Spoken Here Melody Chart! It includes 2 unique styles per verse to help visually display each melody overlapping or separately!
Printable I Want to Live the Gospel Letters Melody Chart
Here you can grab our free printable I Want to Live the Gospel Letters Melody Chart. I’ve made it available in a few different styles both with and without the first letters and even in a more traditional bar chart style with colored letter clues for non-readers!
You can pick from whichever style fits your Primary needs best!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are completely free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! Membership is completely free (no credit card information requested — ever).
You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already a subscriber? Grab your printable just below this text!
For another fun activity to teach the lyrics really well, head over to see my I Want to Live the Gospel Crossword Puzzle lesson plan.
What other fun ways have you extended this I Want to Live the Gospel Melody Chart lesson plan? Share how your Primary kids liked this activity in the comments!