I’m excited about this unique singing time idea, an I Will Walk with Jesus Letter Sounds activity! You’ll swap out the lyrics for letter sounds that help you focus on song dynamics and the melody.
The kids will also have the words sneak in the “backdoor” as they sing them silently in their head as they convert the words to simple singing sounds.
** See 12 fun I Will Walk with Jesus Singing Time Ideas here **
I Will Walk with Jesus Letter Sounds
How to Play:
Sing through I Will Walk with Jesus (Flip Chart Here) once, before introducing this activity.
Tell the children today we’re going to sing like Ghosts or that we’re going to practice the notes and the melody, instead of the words.
Sing through the song singing the vowel sounds. You might sing through the first 1 or 2 lines demonstrating and pointing to the sounds. Then start back and the beginning with the kids joining in.
E says it’s own letter name. A says “ah”. O says “ooooh” (Like oooh, aaaah).
Verse 1 Letter Code & Color Guide:
- E-E A A O-O / Jesus walked in wisdom
- E-E O O O / Jesus grew in truth
- E E O O A A A / He showed love to God and man
- E E E A / while in His youth
- E-E A A A O / Jesus wants to guide me
- E-E A A A / Jesus shows the way
- O O O A A A A / Calling me to come and walk
- O O E E / with Him each day
Color Guide Verse 1:
- Purple = Jesus/He
- Green = Walk/Walked/Guide/Way (Directions/Actions)
- Blue = Wisdom/Truth/Love/Calling (Christ’s Attributes)
- Orange = Me
Verse 3 Letter Code & Color Guide:
- O O A A E-E / I will trust in Jesus
- O O O E E / I will hear His call
- E E A-A O O / He will never leave me
- A A O O / even when I fall
- E-E O O A-A / Jesus gives me power
- E E A-A O / lifts and comforts me
- A-A O O O / helping me to live
- A A E-E-E / and grow eternally
Color Guide Verse 3:
- Purple = Jesus/He
- Green = Call/ Lifts/Comforts/Helping (Christ’s Actions)
- Blue = Trust/Hear/Power/Grow (Attributes Christ Gives Me)
- Orange = Me/I
- Let the kids pick a new substitute sound for one of the letter sounds (for example all “a” sounds change to “m” sounds).
- Have them help you convert the chorus into the “sound code”. Just use a mix of a/e/o sounds. I aimed to have Christ paired with e-e’s and I/me paired with o’s, and actions paired with a’s, but it doesn’t have to.
- Have the kids “find” all the words for Jesus in the code. Sing “Jesus” instead of the “e-e” whenever you find one! You could have Junior primary circle all the sounds to help remind them when to sing out Jesus.
- For an increased challenge in Senior only, you could scramble up the letter sound strips and see if they can get them back in order! The keywords for Jesus and the number of syllables per line will help!
For another fun way to focus on the melody of the song, head over to see our Families Can Be Together Forever Melody Chart!
I Will Walk with Jesus Letter Sounds Printable Singing Time Lesson Plan
This PDF printable lesson plan for using letter sounds to teach I Will Walk with Jesus includes a quick 1-page overview with directions on how to use this singing time idea and fun extension activities.
It also includes the verse and color guides to help you easily decode the activity yourself before you use it in Singing Time!
It also includes a printable color guide and each verse has 4 pages with letter sound strips! You can keep them as a full page or cut them out into strips – either way!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to teach this song, head over to see our I Will Walk with Jesus Unscramble the Words activity!
What other fun ways could you use this I Will Walk with Jesus Letter Sounds activity in Primary?