You will love this I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Scripture Stories activity! This spiritual connection activity is a great way to help children learn about Jesus and how to become like Him. Let’s dive into the scriptures and learn together in primary!
In this post, I have 10 scripture stories that give examples of Jesus loving and serving others. As a primary, you can read through these scripture stories as you practice I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus this month.
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Scripture Stories
I’m so excited to try this activity in primary. Last time I used a scripture activity in primary, my primary children loved it! There’s just something special about reading directly from the scriptures that brings the Spirit into a room.
For this activity, I’ll be finding different scripture stories about Jesus that help children learn about His attributes. As they identify these attributes, they will be able to better understand what it means when we sing “I’m trying to be like Jesus.”
As you read through each scripture in primary, discuss or write an attribute of Jesus Christ that you learned from the scripture. You might lead a short discussion about how we can try to develop these attributes and become like Christ.
10 Scripture Stories about Jesus
When searching for scripture stories about Jesus, there are so many to choose from! After doing my own scripture chase, I’ve chosen 10 of my favorite scripture stories about Jesus Christ to use for this activity.
- Matthew 4:1-2: Jesus fasts for 40 days
- Matthew 4:23: Jesus begins healing and teaching the people
- Matthew 8:2-3: Jesus heals the leper
- Mark 11:15-16: Jesus rebukes those selling at the temple
- Luke 23:34: Jesus asks God to forgive those who crucified Him
- Mark 14: 35-36: Jesus prays in the Garden of Gethsemane to take the burden of the Atonement from Him. He accepts God’s will.
- Luke 18:15-16: Jesus blesses the children
- John 8:11: Jesus forgives the woman take in adultery and tells her to repent.
- John 10:14: Jesus is the good shepherd and watches over His sheep.
- John 13:5: Jesus washes the disciples’ feet.
In each of these scriptures, you can find at least one attribute of Jesus Christ. As you read through these scriptures, ponder what attributes of Christ we learn about in these verses. You might choose to write these attributes on the board in primary.
Feel free to find your own scripture stories about Jesus. Although each volume of scripture testifies of Christ, I chose to specifically focus on stories from the New Testament. I’ve written out each of these scriptures and included them in a printable later in this post!
- Gather stories of Christ from the scriptures. Write down the scriptures on strips of paper.
- During primary, start by reviewing a verse of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus (check out our flipchart!)
- Then, invite the children to choose one scripture story at a time. Read through the story and try to find an attribute of Christ in the story.
- Write the attribute on the board, and sing through a verse of the song after reading each scripture.
- Continue reading the stories and finding attributes of Christ. As you sing, encourage the children think about the attributes of Christ that they would like to develop.
- Split the group into classes. Have each class take a few scripture stories. As they read the stories, invite them to talk about how they can try to be like Jesus.
- On the back of each story, write a phrase of the song. Have each class take a few pieces of paper. Each class is responsible for singing ONLY the phrases they have on their papers.
- Write a list of attributes of Christ. Have each class choose an attribute and discuss how they can learn and develop that attribute.
For an example of another scripture activity, check out this Keep the Commandments Scripture Questions singing time idea!
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Scripture Stories Printable Lesson Plan
This printable lesson plan can be a lifesaver as you plan this I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Scripture Stories activity! The first page of this printable includes instructions for the activity and some extension ideas.
The second page of this printable includes 10 scripture stories about Christ. The scripture is written, and the scripture is typed out in case children don’t have their own copy of scriptures with them. Simply print out this page and cut the stories into strips!
How to Login to Unlock Downloads!
You can access ALL of our free lesson plans, flip charts, and other printables and downloads by subscribing! Grow.me is a really cool tool that lets you bookmark and save your favorite posts. See our FAQ page here if you need additional help!
Step 1: Click the Unlock Printables button below or 3 Dots icon in the bottom left corner.
Step 2: Create a free account with Grow.me and login.
*NOTE: We do not ask for ANY Credit card information on our lesson plans!! If you see any type of request, that’s not my site!
Step 3: That’s it! All download files will automatically be unlocked as long as you are logged in! If you’re already logged in, you’ll see the PDF preview and/or download button below.
Signing up will subscribe you to our email newsletter or update your subscription status if you previously unsubscribed. Our newsletter shares the latest weekly posts with timely and fun Singing Time ideas and new printable lesson plans!
👇 Download Here 👇
You will love this fun I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Dominoes rhythm activity!