Your Primary Children will LOVE taking ownership of creating their own custom and unique flip chart with this easy no-prep Jesus Once Was a Little Child Draw the Song singing time idea! You’ll let them draw a specific thing to coordinate with each line of the song.
** See 12 Jesus Once Was a Little Child Singing Time Ideas here **
Jesus Once Was a Little Child Draw the Song
How to Play:
Before primary, gather the “Draw the Song” pages and some crayons.
At the beginning of primary, start by reviewing Jesus Once Was a Little Child Lyrics.
Then, bring out the “Draw the Song” pages one at a time. Post one on the board. Once the first poster is on the board, read the phrase to the children.
Invite one class to come up to draw a smiley face or other small image to represent themselves as a child like Jesus while you sing through the song again. You can repeat with the other classes, or move to the next page with a different class
For the next page, you’ll ask the children what the words: pure, meek, and mild mean. You can have the children write the definition, synonyms, or other words we could use to describe Jesus’s character.
Sing through the song while one class fills in words (or symbols/shapes) to represent Jesus.
Now, for the third page of the song, you’ll have another class come up and repeat writing the word try! Can they use a fun font or creative way to write the word? Ask them to really consider that they might make a pledge to truly try this week to be like Jesus in their choices and interactions with others.
- You can continue with the second verse, here are some prompts to consider:
- Played as little children: Draw favorite games like checkers, hopscotch, jacks, jump rope, sports, etc.
- Spoke the truth: Let them fill the page with fun shaped and styled speech bubbles. Then, fill them in with kind words!
- You could instead have them draw a flip chart for each of the pages with simple pictures to help them remember the lyrics.
- Give each class their own set of “Draw the Song” pages. Have each class work together to follow each of the prompts you share for the verses.
- Once you have all the pages completed, choose one page to turn over while you sing and see how well you do without the words!
Go grab our Kindness Begins With Me Draw the Song lesson plan, too! This is such an easy but fun singing time idea.
Jesus Once Was a Little Child Drawing Challenge
This printable is just a simple lyric line per page but you’ll be able to print and then have ZERO prep! Just grab these lyric lines and crayons or markers and you’re ready for singing time!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Next, you’ll love getting some movement in with this Jesus Once Was a Little Child Yoga Poses activity!
What other fun extension ideas could you add to this Jesus Once Was a Little Child Draw the Song lesson plan?