I was inspired by the OCD Primary Chorister’s original song snowflake ideas! I thought it would be fun to try to come up with some of my own patterns. I’ll just say – they were a lot of work to try to tweak and get to work, but they were fun to come up with!
I’ve added seven new printable Primary Song Snowflakes designs to expand on some of the song selections and help you with songs you might pick to teach for the 2023 New Testament Come Follow Me year!
Primary Song Snowflakes
How to Play:
These adorable song snowflakes can be a great way to quickly, easily, and with a BIG visual impact pick out your songs to sing for a review game or introduction of your new songs for the year.
Pick and reveal one of your snowflakes. Ask the children what do they see? What song might this snowflake represent?
Sing through the song of your choice for that snowflake, then reveal your next snowflake. Continue making your way through each of the snowflakes you bring in!
- Mount your snowflakes on a solid paper and then laminate. Mix them all up and let the kids randomly select one! You can put the songs back in so it’s always a surprise (including a chance for a repeat!)
- Make 2 of each snowflake and try to find the match! You can do that with them covered or simply put all the snowflakes around the board and have the Primary children “hunt” for two matching snowflakes!
- Let the kids write on a piece of paper with a fun way to sing (or manipulative to use). Crinkled them up into “snowballs” and then let them take turns tossing them at the snowflakes up on the board! If a snowball hits a song snowflake, reveal the way to sing that the child wrote on their snowball and sing the song!
- Use the snowflakes after singing time to display on your bulletin board and they can be used throughout the year to remind the children of your songs or included in a variety of games!
2023 Snowflake List
1. Prayer Hands & Questions:
A Child’s Prayer #12
Did You Think to Pray? H#140
When He Comes Again #82
2. Fish & Loaves:
Come, Follow Me Hymn #116
3. Olive Tree, Cross, Steps:
Did Jesus Really Live Again #64
Behold the Great Redeemer Die Hymn #191
4. Watering Can & Plant:
When We’re Helping #198
5. Smiles & Arrow:
Kindness Begins with Me #145
I’ll Walk with You #140
6. Shoe, Jesus Word:
I Will Walk with Jesus
Teach Me to Walk … Light #177
Seek the Lord Early #108
Come Follow Me Hymn #116
7. Ark, Giraffe, Dove:
Build an Ark
Follow the Prophet #110
- Print and cut out the square.
- Fold on grey lines:
- Fold in half diagonally across the middle of a diamond shape, creating two triangles.
- Fold in half along the long edge
- Fold in thirds, following the print lines. You’ll have a flat edge in the center and two pointed edges that extend beyond the edge. Don’t worry – this is the correct fold!
- This will give you 12 wedge shaped pieces
- Carefully cut the shaded grey areas; remove the grey pieces.
- For faint lines, you’ll use those as a cut only to reach the next section to remove.
- A tip is to use blunt kid scissors and cut from the middle of the blade, not the tip, to give you more control.
- Unfold the snowflake and you’ll see the repeating pattern!
- You can laminate to protect them or glue onto dark paper to help the pattern be easily seen.
- Write your song of choice and song number on the back.
You’ll also love this fun and interactive Pin the Primary Song activity! Use it to review songs from the past and new songs you’re learning this year or a fun mix of Primary songs from the songbook.
Primary Song Snowflakes Printables
I’ve created 7 different fun snowflakes! These were offered as a freebie for subscribers of my brand new membership program. Now, I’m sharing 2 free snowflakes here and including the entire set as part of the membership so you can check out how fun these are!
You’ll find all 7 printable Song Snowflakes as a member of the January Doctrine and Covenants INSTANT Primary Singing membership. Or, pickup the set of snowflakes in my shop! It is also available in my Etsy store here.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
See this post with a MASSIVE collection of 32 Primary Song Snowflakes by the OCD Primary Chorister!
What other songs would you love to see crafted into a Snowflake design? Share some ideas in the comments with elements and song titles and they just might be next!