Are you looking for a super cute new year’s themed activity to introduce all you’re new songs for the year? Or, maybe you’re feeling out some of the many songs you’re considering and want to see which ones the kids like best?
You’ll have a blast either introducing new songs or reviewing songs before your program with this Primary Song Check-in Ratings & Countdown activity!
Primary Song Check-In & Ratings!
How to Play:
Quickly explain that you will be sharing a variety of songs for the new year or going over all of your program songs. Ask the children to think about how they would rate each song!
There are two ranking methods, you can choose the wording that best fits your needs:
- ♥ I ALREADY KNOW IT
😊 I REMEMBER IT A LITTLE
✔ SOUNDS FAMILIAR
✖ NEVER HEARD IT
- ♥ LOVE IT
😊 LIKE IT
✔ IT’S OKAY
✖ NOT SURE YET
Sing through each song and have the children circle the emoji that best represents how they feel about the song.
You can use this activity as a good way to gauge what songs they already know and help you plan out your year. Or, help you pick from a variety of songs you’re considering for next year!
6-8 songs is just about right for 20 minutes, depending on their length and number of verses. You can use this for one week, stretch it across 2 weeks (see extension idea below), or take up a whole hour!
- Use the clock countdown to “ring in” the new year with 12 fun songs from the past or future to rate!
- Vote on the ranking as a Primary and use one big poster sized chart with your song titles.
- Use your list again on the following week! You can tell the children each different symbol has a secret fun activity to go with it for next week. Come with a fun challenge for each of the songs based on the symbol they picked. For example:
- Dance party or sing 2x speed for your “Love It / Know It” songs.
- Bring in a fun manipulative like egg shakers or dance scarves for your “Like it / Remember it” song list.
- Use a flip chart or come up with hand actions for the “Sounds familiar / It’s okay” crowd.
- Play a karaoke sing along video for the “Not sure / Never heard it” song titles.
- Reuse this activity a month or so before your Primary Program to help you find any trouble spots to work on so they’re all program ready!
- If you have extra time, let the kids pick songs from the list to sing again! You can pair it with a fun way to sing or make it a competition to see which half of the room knows it best!
For another fun way to review a bunch of song titles, head over to grab our Primary Song Scramble game!
Primary Song Check-in Printable Helps
This printable includes a 10-song printable hand out and poster sized printables. You can print and fill them in or edit using Adobe Acrobat Reader before printing to easily fill in the worksheet with your song list.
You’ll find a bunch of additional printables included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership in January New Testament year with additional song lists for 8-songs, 12-songs, poster size ratings guide, and a New Year countdown clock! Or, find these extra printables in my shop.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun way to introduce your songs see our cute Name That Tune Song Championship! It will give the kids a cooperative-competitive vibe to have them working together toward the goal of figuring out the songs for the year!
What other fun ideas could you use to extend this Primary Song Check-in activity? Let me know how it went with your Primary in the comments!
This post may also be available in: English Español
2 thoughts on “Primary Song Check-In Ratings & Countdown”
Thank you so much! Your file for the Primary song check in is perfect!! Just what I needed to start the year. It is so adorable and so easy to use!! Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. I wouldn’t be able to do my calling without your generosity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
<3 Thanks so much, Emilie!! Glad you love it and hope your Primary children did, too!!