Use purposeful movement to help the kids learn the words in this Search, Ponder and Pray action words activity! It’s a super easy, no-prep activity.
You can print out the corresponding lesson plan below, or simply head into Primary and have the kids help you come up with actions as you sing through the song!
** See all Search Ponder and Pray Singing Time Ideas here! **
Search Ponder and Pray Action Words
*Downloads are available at the bottom of the post when signed in!*
How to Play:
Pick out keywords from the song to make a simple hand action for.
You can use all the actions below, or just select a few with more space between the actions.
The picture icons on the second page can be helpful to show the hand actions, especially when skipping every other one on the challenge round!
Sing the song through only following the actions (they can skip singing)
Then sing together with the actions and the words
As a challenge round – see if they can do only every other action! It’s tough!
You can make actions together with the kids, or use my actions outlined below!
– Love = Make a heart with your hands
– Read the Holy Scriptures = Form a book with your hands
– Time = Point to your wrist (watch)
– Feel the Spirit = Give yourself a warm hug
– grow within my heart = Hand spring upward like a plant growing
– testimony = ASL for “testimony” is on hand up high near your head with the palm facing to the right. Shake the hand forward twice. https://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/TESTIMONY/7580/1
– they’re true = nod head dramatically
– search = Make binoculars over your eyes with your hands
– Ponder = One finger on your temple and your other hand under your elbow, like you’re thinking
– Pray = Hands clasped together
– I must do = pound closed fists one on top of the other twice
– Spirit will guide = Use two hands near each other and bring them forward showing a clear path
– deep inside = Finger pointing inward towards yourself
– Know = point to temple/brain
– Scriptures = Form a book with your hands
– are true = nod head dramatically
For another fun and similar singing time idea using actions, see our A Child’s Prayer Simple Actions singing time idea using emojis!
A Child’s Prayer Action Words Video Demo
Practice the actions for this song a few times before teaching it in primary with this video demo! In this short video, I’ll teach you some simple actions to introduce or even review this song in primary! Just click on the link below and be sure to grab the printable picture cues too!
Search Ponder and Pray Action Words Printable Singing Time Lesson Plan
This Search, Ponder and Pray Action Words printable can help you learn and lead the action words. Included is a sheet of pictures/icons that correlate with my set of action words that can be posted to help the kids follow along with your actions!
It can also be a good resource for filling in blanks on a poster board or other simple activities!
Note: The graphics have been updated to ensure proper usage rights.
You’ll find action words for the 2nd verse, larger 2-page poster, and black and white printables included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when Search, Ponder and Pray is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
You’ll also love this fun and engaging Search Ponder and Pray Scripture Hunt activity! It’s patterned after “I’m Going on a Bear Hunt!”
What other fun ways could you use these Search Ponder and Pray Action words in singing time?