What better way to review this fun round song than with a movement round? You’ll love this fun The Shepherd’s Carol Actions in a Round activity that uses just 4 actions!
This movement singing time activity incorporate 4 simple actions used in a round to accompany this fun song, The Shepherd’s Carol! This short Christmas song is a great one to add to your list this year!
The Shepherd’s Carol Actions in a Round
Have some fun creating a round with actions while singing this fun Christmas round with 4 parts. At the beginning of singing time, sing through the song as a primary. Be sure to grab our flip chart as you learn this song!
Then, write out each line of the song on the board. I’ve created a simple printable with lyrics strips to make it a little easier for you!
Post the first action card on next to the first line of the song. The great thing about this pattern is that it can be done individuals or in partners! If you choose to pick partnerships, have each partnership face each other, hold hands, and sway their arms back and forth while singing the first line.
Then, post the second action card and the second line. Wave hands right in the air like a rainbow. Continue introducing each action with each line of the song. Once you’ve practiced all the lines individually, try the entire pattern!
If you’re up for the challenge, try it in a round! Split the class into 4 groups. Assign each group a number. Have the first group start singing and doing the actions. Once the first group gets to the end of the first line, have the second group start at the beginning of the song! Continue with the third and fourth group and have some fun singing!
The Shepherd’s Carol Actions:
- Sway Side to Side: This action can be done individually or with a partner. If you are doing this pattern individually, just slowly sway from side to side. If using in partnerships, hold hands with your partner and sway your arms slowly.
*In the first verse of the song, use this action for the first line, “Mary, Mary, hush, see the Child.”
2. High Wave: This is another action that can be done individually or with a partner. If you are doing this pattern individually, wave both arms back and forth above the head. If using in partnerships, hold hands with your partner and raise arms high while waving hands back and forth.
*In the first verse of the song, use this action for the second line, “Joseph, Joseph, look, see how mild.”
3. Snap Fingers: This action is super simple! Just snap your fingers! If you have kiddos in primary who don’t know how to snap, have them tap their shoulders and put their arms out, pretending to snap.
*Use this action for the third line of the first verse, “This is Jesus; this is our King.”
4. Clap Hands: Clap your hands quietly! For this action, you can clap on the beat, clap on every word, or clap on every syllable! You choose!
*Use this action for the last line of the first verse, “This is our Savior; his praises we sing.”
- Switch up the order of the actions! Write the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 on the board. Cut out the action cards and have the kids randomly choose one at a time from a hat to choose the order of actions!
- Have 4 groups separate into each corner of the room. Assign each group just one of the four actions and one line. Have each group sing their line of the song, then rotate clockwise to sing a new line!
- Combine this activity with our fun ribbon wands activity and create a round with ribbon wand actions!
For another fun similar movement activity, head over to see this Kindness Begins With Me Partner Rhythms singing time activity!
The Shepherd’s Carol Actions in a Round Demo Video
Need some further explanation for this activity? Check out this short demo video to prep for this Christmas activity! In this video, I demonstrate all the actions used in this pattern and provide some additional tips for using this activity in primary!
The Shepherd’s Carol Actions in a Round Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes 1/4 page colorful action cards. I’ve also included black-and-white lyric strips to help you better organize each line of the round!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including larger full page poster with actions and with lyrics and 2nd verse. You’ll find these bonus files included in the November Book of Mormon packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to review this song, check out The Shepherd’s Carol Ribbon Wands!
What other fun ways will you use this movement singing time activity in your Primary room?