You’ll love this fun activity to review The Lord Gave Me a Temple with an activity that everyone will want to turn to try – building it tons of repetition! Have a child help you unscramble this The Lord Gave Me a Temple picture puzzle with a double-sided image to up the challenge!
The Lord Gave Me a Temple Picture Puzzle
How to Play:
Sing through The Lord Gave Me a Temple (flipchart here) once, before starting this activity.
Invite a child to come up and tell them you’ve brought in a puzzle of a temple. See if they can assemble it. Don’t give them any extra hints (that the puzzle is double sided). Then, see if they can complete the puzzle before the song is finished.
Have the child share what the phrase says on the puzzle and a tip they may have learned from completing the puzzle to help the next volunteer beat their time.
Continue to pick a new volunteer, scramble up all the pieces, and ask them to complete the opposite puzzle – temple, then body, then temple, etc.
You’ll get in tons of singing repetition as the kids are trying to “beat” the song and compete with each other which the older kids especially love!
Close by connecting that we should treat our bodies like the temple.
- Print out both pictures and cut around the outside of the picture.
- Measure and line up jumbo craft sticks or cut out a cardboard box from a cereal box or similar thickness to mount your puzzle to. You will pre-cut out the pictures to fit the craft sticks or leave it whole if mounting on cardboard and cut after.
- Glue the puzzle picture onto your cardboard or craft sticks. I recommend using mod podge craft glue. You can use a thin coat first, apply the picture, then apply another thin coat on top to protect the image.
- To make the puzzle easier for Junior primary, you can make a second set of puzzle pictures that use larger pieces, aren’t double sided, or simply make sure all the puzzle strips are face up to the correct picture before they get started.
- Let the children clap instead on the phrase that matches the puzzle you’re working on:
- “The Lord Gave Me a Temple” – Temple picture
- “My Body is the temple” – Body picture
- Try singing at double speed! Can your puzzle volunteer still beat you?
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this I Will Be Valiant Picture Puzzle singing time activity!
Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes 2 pictures to print and assemble your own picture puzzle game!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables to help you teach The Lord Gave Me a Temple whenever this song is the featured song of the month! For this activity, you’ll find a bonus printable lesson plan.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun singing time activity to teach this song, head over to this The Lord Gave Me a Temple Keyword Match!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?