Try something fun, new and different with this exciting I Want to Live the Gospel Maori Sticks singing time idea! It’s a high energy activity where the kids can help you create a strong rhythm and beat!
**See 20 fun ways to teach I Want to Live the Gospel Singing Time ideas & activities over here!**
Affiliate links are used in this post.
I Want to Live the Gospel Maori Sticks
To get started with this lesson plan, you’ll need a set of Maori sticks (also called Lummi Sticks) for your Primary. You will want 2 sticks per child, but you do not have to purchase enough for the entire Primary.
You can pickup a set of Lummi Sticks on Amazon, or head over to this tutorial post where I show you how to make maori sticks using pvc pipe!
Sing through I Want to Live the Gospel (lyrics here) once, before introducing this activity.
Demonstrate the pattern with the first few lines of the song. Ask the children to follow along with their hands.
Ask the children to turn to the person beside them. Teachers may need to help to make sure everyone has a buddy. Let’s try that pattern again with your hands and this time, clap your hand across to your neighbors hand for the 4th action (demonstrate).
Are you ready to try it with me with these maori sticks? Remember – if I see children not using these appropriately we’ll need to put them away and switch to a different activity!
Pass out a canvas tote bag with maori sticks to the teachers and let them help distribute them. As an alternative, you can have one class come up front at a time to control the noise or if you have a big Primary and don’t have a ton of maori sticks available!
Sing through I Want to Live the Gospel a few times with the pattern and switching up who gets to tap.
I Want to Live the Gospel Maori Sticks Pattern
- Clap – Hold one Maori stick in each hand. Clap them together in front of you. You can do this by crossing them forming an “x” or by bringing them upright straight together.
- Pat – Bring both sticks down onto your lap or on the floor beside you if sitting on the floor. Using the floor will give you a stronger sound/beat!
- Clap – Repeat the clap action above.
- Tap – Take the Maori stick from your right hand and extend it out to your partner. Tap once on your partner’s maori stick. Next time through the song, switch and hold your stick steady and let your partner tap on your maori stick!
More Fun Maori Sticks Extension Activities:
- Switch out the final action to one of these 2 fun swaps!
- Toss – Make a small, controlled toss with the maori stick in your right hand. Try your best to catch it with the same hand!
- Pass – Toss the maori stick in your right hand in a gentle toss across to your partner. Try to catch their stick that they pass to you at the same time. For a more controlled version, just swap sticks without the toss.
- Can you try the rhythm at double speed!
- Join 2 groups (to form groups of 4) and continue the pattern in a larger group. Everyone holds both maori sticks outward. Hold the left one steady ready for your partner. Then, tap the maori stick in your right hand on the maori stick of the person to your right.
I Want to Live the Gospel
Maori Sticks Demo Video
If for any reason the video above won’t load, you can also head over to my Primary Singing YouTube playlist and watch the video there! Make sure you hit like and subscribe so you don’t miss any of my singing time ideas and new videos.
For another fun movement and music activity, go see our fun Families Can Be Together Forever Pencil Rhythm Sticks idea!
I Want to Live the Gospel Maori Sticks
Lesson Plan & Printable Song Helps
Grab these printable song helps with cute visuals to help you show the Maori Sticks pattern for I Want to Live the Gospel activity!
It includes 2 sizes – full page and quarter page with the main actions and alternate actions to mix it up or try a harder challenge.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun idea for teaching I Want to Live the Gospel see our Dance Scarves lesson plan!
What other fun ways could you extend this I Want to Live the Gospel Maori Sticks activity? Did you try it with your Primary?
This post may also be available in: English Español