You’re going to have so much fun teaching this engaging When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Egg Shakers pattern as part of your Singing Time lesson plan this week! It adds a challenge when singing along that will keep the kids interested and having fun while they listen for specific keywords to shake along with the melody.
See all of our When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Singing Time Ideas here!!
When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Egg Shakers
How to Play:
Sing through When Joseph Went to Bethlehem (use this flip chart here to help!) once, before introducing your activity. This is a great way to transition from another activity or to help the children remember the words and prepare for a new teaching method.
Tell the children to watch closely as you sing the first two lines and see if they notice what the pattern might be. Sing the first line or two of the song. Shake your egg shakers on the specific keywords outlined in the pattern chart, “Joseph,” “Bethlehem,” “Care.”
Pause, and ask the Primary children what they noticed. You might ask questions such as:
- When did you shake?
- Did you shake for every word?
- Why might you have picked specific words?
- How does it change the feeling of the song when you highlight specific words?
Post the keywords poster up on the board or ask the children to follow along close and shake when you shake. Pass out egg shakers and sing through the first verse together.
Sing through the song again this time trying to sing the keywords nice and loud while you also shake on to accentuate those words.
Invite a class at a time to come up front and lead the activity showing how well they’ve learned the pattern. Then, switch to a different class.
When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Egg Shaker Keywords:
1st Verse: Joseph, Bethlehem, Care, Tools, Shop, Shavings, Donkey, Mary, Bread, Cheese, Sack
2nd Verse: Inn, Meek, Mild, Guardian, Sacred, Chilly, Smoothed, Bands, Jesus, Strength, Hands
3rd Verse: Close, Manger, Dimmed, Lantern, Held, Close, Night
- When you’ve mastered which words to shake on, add a challenge! Match each color with their coordinating egg shaker action or let the kids pick from the 6 different actions. Use two different actions per verse or through each time of the song alternating keywords and following the colored pattern chart. Now, try it with different actions!
- Egg Shaker Actions:
- Shake twice
- Shake fast
- Small toss
- Big shake
- Tap on palm
- Swap egg shaker with a partner\
- Egg Shaker Actions:
- Divide the room into two groups. Have each group pick one of the two colors. They will shake only on their colored words and sing out the other teams colored words as lovely loud as they can! Then, swap colors and sing through the song again!
- Add a stand and sit action on keywords! Quickly stand up and then sit on each word.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Tell Me Dear Lord Egg Shakers singing time activity!
When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Egg Shakers Printable Pattern Chart
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page chart with all the keywords for all 3 verses that’s perfect to place on the podium for you to follow along with or to put up on the board for the Primary to see.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including larger egg shaker posters, action cards, and black and white printables. You’ll find these bonus files included in the December Old Testament packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Continue over next to this fun singing time lesson plan for a When Joseph Went to Bethlehem Sing & Act script!
What other fun ways will you use this egg shakers singing time activity in your Primary room?