Are you teaching Could I Hold the Baby in singing time this year? This Christmas song is just beautiful! This song is pretty new to me, but I instantly fell in love with it the moment I heard the sweet lyrics!
For a fun way to review this Christmas song, use this Could I Hold the Baby Dance Scarves movement activity! You’ll love this dance scarves pattern with actions for key words in the song!
Could I Hold the Baby Dance Scarves
This Could I Hold the Baby Christmas song is the sweetest! Since this song is likely to be unfamiliar to your primary children, begin by refreshing the melody and sing through the verse and chorus. You could also practice with a sing along video.
We’re going to be acting this song out with our dance scarves! Pass out dance scarves and sing or say the first line of the song. “Hmm, what could we draw with our dance scarves to represent this line?” A Christmas tree! Draw a simple triangle Christmas tree.
Post the first page of the dance scarves pattern for the verse and slowly work through the verse one line at a time. Each time you get to a new symbol, have the kids try to guess which action they’ll be doing!
Then, sing through the entire verse using the dance scarves pattern. Try this a few times before moving on to the chorus.
Then, reveal the dance scarves pattern for the chorus. Are there any symbols that look familiar? There are a few actions repeated in the chorus. Work through the chorus, having the kids repeat each line after you while trying the action.
Once you’ve tried the chorus pattern with the song, try singing the entire song while using the dance scarves pattern!
Could I Hold the Baby Dance Scarves Pattern
- Draw a tree – It’s Christmas Eve
- Bring scarf to ear like sleeping – I’m tucked in bed
- Fold scarf to pray – My prayers are said
- Swirl up near head – I start to think about the first Christmas night
- Rock the scarf – The manger warm, the baby fair
- Draw a star – The star that led the shepherds there
- Cover mouth – And what I’d say to Mary as
- Hold as a smile – She smiles at the
- Rock the scarf – Little Christ child
- Rock the scarf – Could I hold the baby?
- Hold as a smile – Will he smile at me?
- Draw Question Mark – Does he know why He is born
- Swiggle on ground – And what his life will be?
- Rock Scarf – Could I hold the baby and
- Draw heart – Tell him of my love?
- Small circle near heart – How glad I am that
- Toss and catch – Jesus Christ was sent from heaven above
- Split the class into 2 groups: 1 group for the verse and 1 group for the chorus. Have each group learn the dance scarves pattern for their section, then have them teach their pattern to the other group!
- Use this activity to learn just the verse or chorus of the song and grab one of our other fun review ideas to work on the other half of the song! Learn the rest of the dance scarves pattern the following week!
- Group the class based on dance scarves color! Be sure to pass out a few of each color. Choose a color and have each group do the actions until you call out another color!
For another Christmas review using dance scarves, head over to see this If I Were There Dance Scarves singing time activity!
Could I Hold the Baby Dance Scarves Demo Video
Try out this fun dance scarves pattern with me! I’ve created this demo video to help you prep for this fun activity! In this video, I demonstrate the entire dance scarves pattern and share a few tips for using this activity in singing time!
Could I Hold the Baby Dance Scarves Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 2-page pattern guide of the dance scarves pattern for the verse and chorus of this song!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including a pattern for the 2nd verse, larger 2-page pattern guide and keyword helpers. You’ll find these bonus files included in the December Doctrine & Covenants packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to this darling Could I Hold the Baby Manger Questions game next!
What other fun ways will you use this dance scarves singing time activity in your Primary room?