I LOVE using ribbon wands in primary! This Choose the Right Ribbon Wands activity is an excellent movement singing style activity to add to your lesson plans this month!
I love hearing the energetic voices of young children sing “Choose the Right!” Seeing their beaming smiles always makes me so grateful for this sweet hymn. Choose the Right is one of the song options for May in the Old Testament Come Follow Me Primary Songs list.
**See all Choose the Right Singing Time Ideas!**
*Post contains affiliate links*
I purchased my first set of ribbon wands this year, and wow, I am so grateful I did! If you are looking for a fun way to add some movement into primary, I would definitely recommend purchasing some ribbon wands.
When purchasing ribbon wands, the main factor to keep in mind is the size of your primary. There are two great brands of ribbon wands that we love depending on how large or small your primary is.
These ORZIZRO Rainbow Ribbon Wands are a great choice if you have a smaller, younger primary. This set comes with 12 ribbon wands that are about 39 inches in length. These ribbon wands come with a handle, which makes them great for younger children.
Another great option is this set of 40 Ribbon Wands. These ribbon wands are quite a bit shorter than the ORZIZRO ones, so they might be a better option if you have a larger primary.
Whichever ribbon wands you decide to use (or if you’d like to make your own), your primary children will have a blast with them!
Choose the Right Ribbon Wands
I try to bring out my ribbon wands at least once a quarter in primary, so I am super excited for this activity! For this activity, I’ll be teaching my primary kiddos a few actions to use with their ribbon wands while we sing Choose the Right.
I have loved using these Ribbon Wand Action Cards to help me choose actions for these types of activities. This set of 32 cards is awesome because you can keep mix up the cards and use them for several different activities.
You can find a set of ribbon wand action cards in our digital shop, it’s one of the few items we sell. It’s also available in our Etsy shop if easier to access there. This simple purchase makes for simple primary prep and is a great resource when you need a substitute!
Ribbon Wands Actions:
For this activity, I’ll be using these 4 simple actions to review Choose the Right:
- Triangle: For this action, simply create a triangle shape with your ribbon wand by starting at the top point and going down to the left, then to the right and back to the top.
Use this action for any time you sing the phrase “Choose the Right,” “In the right” or any starting phrase that has 3-words.
2. Water: For this action, imagine that you are creating small ocean waves with your ribbon wand.
Use this action for “When a choice is placed before you” and “Is forever shining o’er you.”
3. Circle: For this action, simply make a large circle in front of your with your ribbon wand.
Use this action for the phrase “when in the right your heart confides” and for “and God will bless you evermore.”
4. Left to Right: For this action, start with the ribbon wand on the left side of your body, and bring it to the right side.
Use this action for “the Holy Spirit guides” and “let wisdom mark the way before”
These are just some ideas for fun actions to use. Check out our Ribbon Wand Cards for more ideas or ask your primary children for their ideas!
- Begin primary by reviewing Choose the Right (flipchart here!)
- Pass out ribbon wands and introduce the activity by creating some shapes together.
- Then, demonstrate the 4 movement actions and allow the children to try them out (It typically helps to have some kind of visual, whether you draw out the actions or put up pictures).
- Put the actions in whichever order you’d like to use them, and try them in order!
- Sing Choose the Right together and have the children make the actions with their ribbon wands while you point to the actions.
- Ask the children for other ideas of actions and keep practicing!
- Do an action card swap! Using the Ribbon Wand action cards, put all the actions in a hat and let the children choose 4-5 actions at random to use while singing!
- Have a mini talent show! Have each class come up with their own actions and “perform” the song together.
- Divide the class into two groups. Have one group do the first half of the actions, and the other group sing the second half while doing the actions.
Choose the Right Ribbon Wands Demo Video
To help you better visualize this pattern and follow along, you can watch this short Choose the Right Ribbon Wands video where I share each of the different patterns and then sing through the song once following along with this ribbon wand pattern.
Choose the Right Ribbon Wands Printable Helps
We love making singing time easier for you! This printable includes a 1-page guide with description of each of the actions for this activity. Simply print out the actions and use them as you teach these new movements!
You’ll find a printable lesson plan, quarter page and full page ribbon wand action cards, and a pattern chart that works for any of the verses! These extended printables are included when Choose the Right is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun movement activity, try out this Choose the Right Up & Down activity!
What actions will you be using for this Ribbon Wands activity?