I love using movement activities in primary! If you’re looking for a way to keep young primary children engaged in singing time, this Choose the Right Up & Down activity might be perfect for you!
**See all 12 Choose the Right Singing Time Ideas!**
*All printables are easily acccessible when signed in!*
Choose the Right is one of the songs on this year’s Old Testament list. For an easy way to stay organized in primary, you may want to check out our Suggested Come Follow Me Primary Songs Rotation! This can be helpful as you choose which songs to teach every month in singing time.
Last year, I taught Choose the Right as one of our songs for the primary program. My primary kiddos absolutely LOVED learning this song! We played this Choose the Right Up & Down game, so I’m planning on bringing it back this year to review!
This game is especially fun for Junior primary kiddos who have a difficult time sitting still. However, my Senior primary children love it too!
In the first verse alone, you sing the word “right” is sung 6 times and comes up almost every line! So I figured, let’s make a game of it!
Choose the Right Up & Down
This activity is loads of fun and so simple to play! At its most basic form, the idea of the game is to jump UP every time you sing the word “Right.” Now, I like to add a little bit of creativity to my activities, so I created some cute CTR signs that the kids could hold up every time they sing the word “right. “
Creating these signs is very simple. Start by printing off small CTR shields and coloring each one. You can also used colored ink if you have a larger primary, or just leave the black and white for simplicity. Then, glue or tape the CTR shield to a popsicle stick! That’s all!
When I first started teaching singing time, I didn’t have access to a laminator, so my CTR shields are not laminated. However, if you want to keep them nice for a little longer, I would definitely suggest laminating the shields. You can find a set of 100 laminating sheets relatively cheap on Amazon.
I have included the CTR shields that I used in the lesson printable later in this post. All you have to do is print, cut, and tape!
How to Make CTR Shields:
To make these cute CTR shields, all you’ll need are some basic craft supplies. I typically like to have these supplies on hand for any last-minute primary activities.
- Glue or tape
- printable CTR shields (printable later in this post!)
- Colored pencils or markers
- JUMBO popsicle sticks
- Print out enough CTR shields for each child to have one shield.
- If you’d like to color your CTR shields, this is a good time to do so. I like to use colored pencils, but crayons or markers will work just fine!
- Cut out CTR shields.
- If using tape, place a small piece of tape on a Jumbo popsicle stick and tape the CTR shield to the popsicle stick.
- If using glue, place a small dab of glue on the popsicle stick and press down the CTR shield to the popsicle stick until dry.
- Begin by reviewing Choose the Right once (see the Choose the Right lyrics here!)
- Sing the first verse again. This time, challenge the children to jump up each time they hear the word “Right.”
- Pass out the CTR shields and instruct the children to jump up and hold their CTR shield up high when they sing “right.”
- Continue singing through the verses and jumping up and down!
- Switch off sides! Have each side take turns for who gets to jump up. For example, the right side can jump up on the first “right” and the left side can jump up the next time!
- Choose another word to jump up to! You can add as many words to the mix as you’d like.
- If you choose to color your CTR shields, you might have each color correspond with a verse of the song. Children with that color get to sing the verse and jump up together.
For another fun and easy way to add movement in singing time, see this He Sent His Son Sway & Freeze idea!
Choose the Right Up & Down Lesson Plan & Printable
I’ve included this 2-page printable lesson plan that includes instructions for the activity as well as some extension ideas. The second page of this lesson plan is a full page of CTR shields that you can use while you’re jumping up and down.
The third page includes more CTR shields that are larger in size. If you’d like larger shields, print out this page only to create your shields!
Simply print out the CTR shields and color if you’d like. Glue or tape to a popsicle stick and this activity is ready to go!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun way to review Choose the Right this month, try out this Choose the Right Jingle Bells!
We’d love to hear from you! Share any ideas or comments below!
This post may also be available in: English Español