I always love when General Conference comes around! I have fond memories of watching conference and playing little games to keep us kids engaged! For a fun way to help your primary children get ready for General Conference, try this fun General Conference Prophet Ties activity!
There are lots of ways to use this fun visual activity in singing time, from decorating ties while you sing to matching each tie to an apostle! Just print out the cute tie printables later in this post and have some fun reviewing any primary song!
** See MORE General Conference Singing Time ideas! **
General Conference Prophet Ties
This activity is a great way to review any song you are learning! You could use this activity as a review for the suggested Primary song of the month or sing songs about prophets!
Ask the children if they are excited for General Conference. You may invite them to share any special traditions they have during conference weekend.
Pass out a blank tie to each child in primary. Give them some time to decorate their tie while listening or singing a few primary songs. You could use any primary song you are learning or sing a song about prophets!
After the children finish decorating their ties, post pictures of the apostles. For a fun challenge, see if the children can name all the apostles! You could even write out the apostles’ names on one side of the board to give hints.
Have the children look at the tie they made and see if it matches any of the ties worn by the apostles in their pictures! If there is a matching tie, have the child come put their tie next to the apostle’s picture.
Continue matching ties! If you have some extra creative drawings, see if there are any similarities with one of the apostles’ ties (color, shapes, etc.).
Notice in the picture below, I’ve matched this striped tie to Elder Gong’s and Elder Soares’ ties.
Songs to Sing for General Conference:
As I mentioned earlier, you can use this activity to review any primary song! Here’s a list of some of my favorite songs about prophets that you might consider adding to your list for this activity!
Most of the songs on this list are songs about prophets or teachings of prophets. I’ve also included some General Conference classics that are almost guaranteed to be sung!
- Follow the Prophet
- I am a Child of God
- We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet
- The Wise Man and the Foolish Man (Following the prophet’s counsel)
- Latter Day Prophets
- Keep the Commandments
- Teach Me to Walk in the Light
- Lord I Would Follow Thee
- I Feel My Savior’s Love
- How Firm a Foundation
- Decorate a tie together! Have one blank tie at the front of the room. While you sing, pass the crayons to someone who is singing reverently. Have them come draw a line or shape on the tie. Then, have them pass it to someone else!
- Write a silly way to sing on the back of each tie! Instead of having the children color the ties, bring in 10-12 decorated ties that have ways to sing on the back. Tape all the ties to the front of the board. Have the children choose one tie and sing through the song in that way! For example, you could sing while tapping your toes or sing like a pirate!
- Find out some of the apostles’ favorite primary songs. Many apostles use hymns or songs in their talks. Find a few and choose those songs to sing during primary!
- For a fun matching game, write an apostle’s name on each tie. Bring in the pictures of the apostles and put up the ties. While you sing, have the children come up and correctly match the picture to the apostle’s name!
For another visual singing time idea, try this Keep the Commandments Coloring Page!
General Conference Prophet Ties Printable
Grab this General Conference Prophet Ties Printable as you prepare for this fun singing time activity! If you will be matching ties to apostles or trying to name all the apostles, print out those pictures as well. You’ll also want them for another fun trivia activity we have coming soon!
You’ll find additional larger ties included in the New Testament INSTANT Primary Singing membership!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Use this Funny General Conference Moments activity for another fun way to get your primary children excited for General Conference this year!
There are so many fun ways to adapt this tie activity! Which will you choose?