Use this Gethsemane egg shakers idea to review Gethsemane on Easter, since it is a perfect tie in to both the meaning of Easter as well as the fun of the Easter holiday with Easter eggs! Here’s how it worked:
Head here to see 12 Gethsemane Singing Time Ideas for more wonderful ways to teach this song!
Affiliate links are used in this post.
Egg Shaker Pattern
I prefer to start an activity by singing through the song first. But after that, we jump right in! To making passing out egg shakers fast and easy, I add 7-8 to a small canvas bag and hand one bag to each class to hand out. They keep the bag (or hand it to their teacher) until it’s time to clean up and then bring me back the bag.
I bought my egg shakers on Amazon and they are inexpensive and I’ve found them to be very durable! As a new chorister, I tried making homemade egg shakers with colorful and fun duct tape and basic Easter eggs.
Some of those homemade eggs have cracked, though, since they’re such a thin plastic. While they are dirt cheap to make, I feel the sets are absolutely worth the small investment! You can get them for under $1/each, sometimes as low as 2 for a $1 with a large set!
Ideally, you would buy 1 for at least half the number of kids in your Primary group. Having half as mean helps naturally build in repetition as they take turns trying out the patterns. Or you can pick up enough egg shakers to have one per person. I just grabbed a set of 24 and it was enough for my split Primary.
Egg Shaker Beat Pattern Cards
Egg Shaker Patterns:
- Slow Beat / 2 shakes per measure – (Jesus) climbed the / hill to the / garden / still His / steps were / heavy and / sl- / ow
- Fast Beat / 6 shakes per measure – cli / mbed / the / hi / ll / to the / ga / r / den / sti / ll / his – Just continue at a steady, quick pace
- Once per word – Shake at the beginning of each word. Since Gethsemane is so long and held out, we shook our eggs like crazy whenever we sang the “Gethsemane” phrase. But some of the other words you have to hold out and resist the urge to shake! It’s quite fun! Jesus / climbed / the / hill / to / the / garden / still / His / steps
- Shake out the song – Come up with simple shakes that feel like you are acting out the lyrics of the song. For example:
- “Jesus climbed the hill” shake the eggs starting low and moving up, up, up in a curve like a hill.
- ‘To the garden still” cup the egg in your hands and hold it as still as possible.
- “His steps were heavy and slow” shake to the left side of you and then right side of you in slow even “steps” like you’re walking.
- “Gethsemane” constant shaking
- “Jesus loves me” draw a big heart in front of you with the egg shaker
- “So he went willingly to” stretch egg out far in front of you and back towards your belly
- “Gethsemane” constant shaking
Because of the length of the song, if you’re doing the song the whole way through, you’ll probably want to pick just 2 of these egg shaker patterns. I’d recommend one of the beat rhythms and by word!
You could also use the Shake out the Song idea on a separate week repeating the pattern you come up with a few times through the song.
Egg Shaker Patterns
If you have any trouble loading this video, click through to my YouTube channel and you can watch it there, instead.
For another really fun and unique singing time with instruments, see how we created a unique “instrument” with an egg carton to teach Love is Spoken Here.
Gethsemane Egg Shaker
Printable Lesson Plan
If you want an easy way to save this lesson plan, you can print this simple 1-page printable that outlines the different egg shaker patterns above! It will be really helpful to take along with you to singing time to have all your notes easy to reference while teaching Gethsemane!
How to Login to Unlock Downloads!
You can access ALL of our free lesson plans, flip charts, and other printables and downloads by subscribing! Grow.me is a really cool tool that lets you bookmark and save your favorite posts. See our FAQ page here if you need additional help!
Step 1: Click the Unlock Printables button below or 3 Dots icon in the bottom left corner.
Step 2: Create a free account with Grow.me and login.
*NOTE: We do not ask for ANY Credit card information on our lesson plans!! If you see any type of request, that’s not my site!
Step 3: That’s it! All download files will automatically be unlocked as long as you are logged in! If you’re already logged in, you’ll see the PDF preview and/or download button below.
Signing up will subscribe you to our email newsletter or update your subscription status if you previously unsubscribed. Our newsletter shares the latest weekly posts with timely and fun Singing Time ideas and new printable lesson plans!
👇 Download Here 👇
Continue on to our next fun themed singing time idea – Gethsemane Jesus Loves Me Drawing activity. The kids will color in a picture or draw the way Jesus loves them!
What other fun egg shaker patterns would you use for this song?