For a fun and sweet way to review I Feel My Savior’s Love in singing time this month, try out this fun I Feel My Savior’s Love What’s in the Bag activity! This visual intrigue activity is a great way for children to get hands-on learning as they sing about the Savior’s love!
I Feel My Savior’s Love What’s in the Bag
If you’ve never done a “What’s in the Bag” activity in primary, you are in for some fun! I love using these types of activities because they provide the children with an opportunity to see and feel live objects that can remind them of the song.
Many children learn best when they have something physical to see. My Junior primary children especially love this!
How to Play:
This activity is pretty simple to prepare and will be so much fun for primary! In preparation for this activity, I thought about some ways that I feel the Savior’s love for me. Besides music, I feel the Savior’s love when I am reading the scriptures or spending time with family.
The beauty of this activity is that you can choose nearly anything! Everyone feels the Savior’s love a little differently in their lives, so I think sharing those things with your primary kids can be so powerful!
I came up with a short list of items that represent ways we might feel the Savior’s love to bring into primary. Here’s what I came up with!
Ideas for Items to Add to Your Bag:
- Picture of the temple
- Family Photo
- Stuffed Animals (Nature, Animals)
- Blanket (Comfort)
- Work Gloves (Service)
- Copy of Come, Follow Me manual
- Friendship bracelet
- Picture of Sacrament Tray
Once you have all your items, put them in a basket or hide them in a gift bag. During primary, take some time to run through I Feel My Savior’s Love lyrics. Then, as you introduce each item one at a time, have the children pass around the items while you sing!
Take some time to invite the children to share some ways they feel the Savior’s love in their lives. You might give the children a piece of paper to write or draw a time when they felt the Savior’s love. This is a great opportunity to share your testimony of Jesus Christ’s love for each of us.
You might also enjoy this fun Back-to-School themed What’s in My Backpack Review Activity!
- Gather 5-8 items that represent ways we might feel the Savior’s love. Place these items in a large basket or bag.
- At the beginning of primary, review the first verse and chorus of I Feel My Savior’s Love (flipchart here!)
- Then, introduce the activity by asking the children how they feel the Savior’s love for them. Invite them to share a few ideas with a partner or share aloud to the class.
- Explain that Jesus’ love can be felt many ways and might be felt differently by each person.
- Show the children one item from the bag. Invite the children to pass around the item and have the children raise their hands if they can feel the Savior’s love.
- Choose a new item from the bag and start singing the song. Have the children pass around the item while you sing.
- Continue repeating the verses until you’ve revealed all the items in the bag.
- Share your testimony of the Savior’s love for each of us.
- Instead of passing around the items, place each item individually in a brown paper bag. While you sing, pass around the paper bag and see if the children can guess what’s inside!
- Invite some teachers or primary leaders to bring in a few items that help them feel the Savior’s love. Have them share their items as you sing through the verses.
- Play hide and seek! Hide one of the items around the room and invite a child to look for the item. While you sing, have the children sing quietly while the child is far from the hidden item and increase volume as they get closer.
Try out this fun I Feel My Savior’s Love Dance Scarves activity next!
What items will you be bringing for this fun activity?