This activity was made using Word, and I’ll share directions on how to make your own, but you can also use this Color Code idea on a whiteboard with a variety of colored markers, no printing required.
I Know My Father Lives
How to Use the Color Code Activity:
- Post the color code activity. Ask the Primary if they can guess what song you might be singing. Sing through the song I Know My Father Lives and see if anyone was right.
- Ask the kids you need their help deciphering the color code. They can be like your detectives, cracking the code! What do they think the blue color represents?
- Take guesses, see if they’re right. Check their answer by singing through the song – you’re right, you solved blue.
- You can write the blue keywords on the board, if you’d like, or even fill in on top of the blue colored box the words that below.
- Continue going through each of the color codes deciphering the colors and checking if they were right.
- Have one side of the room pick one color and the other side pick a different color. Have the kids sing ONLY their color. Now have them sing everything but their color.
- Scroll to the bottom to grab the free printable lesson plan!
– Orange = I/my/me
– Blue = Know/true
– Yellow = Father and Spirit, represents Godhead
– Red = Love/Faith
– Green = Whisper/tells
How to Easily Make a Printable Color Code:
You can grab our free printable at the bottom of this post. But here’s how I made it so you can make your own version for other songs! 🙂
- Decide on a color code/key and with what colors you’ll use and what words/ideas each color will represent.
- Try to pick words that have lots of repetition or really point out the keywords of the song.
- Write up the lyrics and leave colorful blank boxes in place of whatever words are included in your key!
- Make sure you write down your color key so you have it to refer to!
Head over next to grab this Song Story for I Know My Father Lives!
For another fun logical lesson plan, try this Tell Me the Stories of Jesus Crack the Code singing time idea!
I Know My Father Lives
Color Code Printable
I’ve made it easy to use this I Know My Father Loves Color Code activity in your own Singing Times with a print out you can simply print, stick into your singing time binder, and then use to teach and learn this song!
You can also simply look at the printable to see how color codes work, and then make your own for whatever songs you are working on in your Primary.
Or, skip printing all together and jot down the color key and use this activity with a variety of colored white board markers. Simply draw a colored circle, box, or even a simple colored line for each of your blanks and fill in the spacer words where needed.
*Newly updated with 2nd verse included!
Click here —> to Print I Know My Father Lives – Color Code
Have you ever done a color code before? What other songs would this be the perfect activity for?