Try this fun I Will Follow God’s Plan Partner Arm Swings people interactions activity as you practice this song in primary this month! With just a few actions, this activity is a great way for your primary kids to interact with each other while learning in singing time!
Some kids learn while interacting with others. This activity is super simple and gets your primary kids up and out of their seats while reviewing I Will Follow God’s Plan this month!
I Will Follow God’s Plan Partner Arm Swings
At the beginning of primary, review I Will Follow God’s Plan (flip chart here!) once or twice.
When the kids are feeling comfortable with the words, have them stand up and choose a partner.
Tape the first page of the arm swings actions on the board. Demonstrate each of the 4 actions and have the children try the first page.
Try out the first page of the partner arm swings actions while singing the first 4 lines of the song. Sing through it a few times!
Then, try the second page. Have the children unclasp their hands and clap their hands 3 times on the words “I will work, and I will pray.” While singing, “I will always walk in his way,” have the children spin around.
Try the entire song with both pages of the partner arm swings actions!
4 Extension Activities:
- For a fun way to choose partnerships, write down numbers 1-15 on pieces of paper. Write down each number twice. Pass out the numbers and have the kids find the person with the same number! While they look for their partners, have the pianist play the song.
- Have the children switch partners halfway through the song! Have the kids find a new partner as fast as they can.
- Have each partnership come up with their own pattern for the song! If you have a larger primary, you could create groups of 2-3 partnerships (4-6 kids). Have each group perform their own actions for the class. Additionally, you could have each group teach the class their pattern.
- Divide the room into two large groups of partnerships. Have half the room do the partner arm swings actions while the other half of the room sings!
Partner Arm Swings Actions:
This activity is short and sweet, with just 4 main actions to learn (plus 2 actions that come up once!) Each of these actions is represented in the pattern by a different shape. Each of these actions involves clasping hands.
- Rainbow Shape: The rainbow shape is represented in the pattern by a blue arrow that arches from left to right. For this action, clasp hands with your partner. Start with your hands up high in the air. Slowly sway your arms side to side while keeping your hands up high.
At the beginning of the song, do this action while singing, “My life is a gift, my life has a plan.” Use it again at the end of the song while singing, “and in my home above.”
- “U” Shape: This action is just like the rainbow shape, except you keep your hands low and sway back and forth in a “U” shape. This action is represented by a blue arrow that swoops down from left to right.
Use this action at the beginning while singing “My life has a purpose; in heav’n it began.” It will come up one more time when you sing “holding fast to his word and his love.”
- Triangle: This action is represented in the arm swings pattern by a green triangle. For this action, start with your hands clasped at waist-height. Draw your hands out to the side, then slowly bring them up to a point.
Use this action while you sing, “And seek for God’s light to direct me from birth” and again when you sing, “I will follow God’s plan for me.” You’ll actually do the action twice in a row!
- Circle: For this action, start by clasping your hands and bringing your arms low. Then, raise your arms slowly to make a wide circle with your partner. This action is represented in the pattern by a red circle.
Use this action while you sing, “My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth.” At the end of the song, create a big circle while you sing, “Then I will be happy on earth.”
These two actions only come up once at the end of the song. I added them to the pattern for some variety!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP: Clap your hands three times while you sing “I will work,” and then clap 3 more time when you sing “I will pray.”
SPIN: I thought it would be so fun to add a spin! Have the kids spin around while they sing, “I will always walk in his way.”
Head on over to this I Feel My Savior’s Love Partner Arm Swings lesson next!
I Will Follow God’s Plan Partner Arm Swings Printable Actions
Grab this free printable that outlines the entire arm swings pattern for the song! This pattern is just 2 pages long, and should be big enough for everyone to see the shapes. Print out both pages of the printable and tape them to the board during singing time!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to this I Will Follow God’s Plan Egg Carton Rhythm activity next!
We have lots of fun activities to review I Will Follow God’s Plan this month! Which ideas will you be using?