I love using song stories in primary! When I share stories in primary, the children listen so eagerly and the Spirit fills the room. This I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story is a great spiritual activity to introduce I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus this year in primary.
If you’ve never used a song story in singing time before, it’s pretty simple! The idea is to tell a story that shares the message of the primary song. As you tell the story, you also teach the lyrics to the new primary song. This is a beautiful way to bring the Spirit into primary and help children understand gospel doctrines.
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story
I love using song stories in primary! I have used them a few times and the kids LOVE them! There is a reason why Christ used parables to teach people about the gospel. Sharing a story that is easy to understand and relatable can be powerful tool in teaching the gospel.
As with your other song stories, the story is designed to guide children throughout the primary song. As you read, there will be places to pause the story and teach I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus.
For this song story, I’ve chosen to share a story about a young boy named Riley. This story is completely fictional, but teaches children ways they can try to be like Christ. Within the story, there are places to stop and learn a phrase or two of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus.
We’ve included a full song story later in this post so that you can just print and go!
In this story, Riley is faced with a decision. He is a young boy in kindergarten who notices some boys teasing his friend. Riley is unsure whether he should stand up to the boys or stay out of the conflict.
After talking with his mom and remembering his primary lesson, Riley chooses to be like Jesus and remind the boys to be kind. This story is very relatable for both young children who are entering school and those currently in grade school.
As you tell the story, learn a little bit of the song. Once you are finished with the story, you will have taught the entire first verse and chorus of the song! This is such an engaging way to teach a new primary song in singing time.
- Begin by telling the primary that you have a special story to share with them. Introduce the characters of this story and explain that the story is about a child learning to be like Jesus.
- Introduce the story by reading the first paragraph. After reading this, introduce the first two phrases of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus (flipchart here!)
- In Senior primary, you may invite children to take turns reading short paragraphs.
- Continue reading the story and learning the lines of the song.
- At the conclusion of the story, you should have introduced/taught the entire first verse. Share you testimony of discipleship and becoming like Jesus.
- Sing through the entire song again before the end of primary!
- Create a story board for the story with pictures. Invite “readers” to read different parts of the story.
- After reading the story, ask questions about the message of the story. Discuss different ways that children can try to be like Jesus. Write down the ideas on paper and post them on the wall for children to remember.
- Give each child a piece of paper and crayons and invite them to draw the story.
- Print out each paragraph of the story and tape these papers to the wall. Have children put the story in order.
For another example of a song story, check out this A Child’s Prayer Song Story!
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story Demo Video
If you’re having a difficult time imagining how to use this activity in singing time, just watch this video and see how I go through the story! In this video, I explain how to use this activity, then read through the entire story, pausing to sing a short line of the song.
This whole video is 5 minutes long, so if you’re planning to use this activity in primary, you may want to slow down and sing each line once or twice! You can also grab one of our other activities for this song to supplement this one!
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story Printable Lesson Plan & Song Story Outline
In this printable includes the song story, with specific places designated for learning new phrases of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus. This outline is very simple to follow. Just read through story (or have volunteers read) and stop at each asterisk. Then, teach the song little by little!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over next to see this engaging I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Scripture Stories! It’s a perfect way to introduce this song for the first time.