I love using song stories in primary! When I share stories in primary, the children listen so eagerly and the Spirit fills the room. This I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story is a great spiritual activity to introduce I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus this year in primary.
If you’ve never used a song story in singing time before, it’s pretty simple! The idea is to tell a story that shares the message of the primary song. As you tell the story, you also teach the lyrics to the new primary song. This is a beautiful way to bring the Spirit into primary and help children understand gospel doctrines.
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story
I love using song stories in primary! I have used them a few times and the kids LOVE them! There is a reason why Christ used parables to teach people about the gospel. Sharing a story that is easy to understand and relatable can be powerful tool in teaching the gospel.
As with your other song stories, the story is designed to guide children throughout the primary song. As you read, there will be places to pause the story and teach I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus.
For this song story, I’ve chosen to share a story about a young boy named Riley. This story is completely fictional, but teaches children ways they can try to be like Christ. Within the story, there are places to stop and learn a phrase or two of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus.
We’ve included a full song story later in this post so that you can just print and go!
In this story, Riley is faced with a decision. He is a young boy in kindergarten who notices some boys teasing his friend. Riley is unsure whether he should stand up to the boys or stay out of the conflict.
After talking with his mom and remembering his primary lesson, Riley chooses to be like Jesus and remind the boys to be kind. This story is very relatable for both young children who are entering school and those currently in grade school.
As you tell the story, learn a little bit of the song. Once you are finished with the story, you will have taught the entire first verse and chorus of the song! This is such an engaging way to teach a new primary song in singing time.
- Begin by telling the primary that you have a special story to share with them. Introduce the characters of this story and explain that the story is about a child learning to be like Jesus.
- Introduce the story by reading the first paragraph. After reading this, introduce the first two phrases of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus (flipchart here!)
- In Senior primary, you may invite children to take turns reading short paragraphs.
- Continue reading the story and learning the lines of the song.
- At the conclusion of the story, you should have introduced/taught the entire first verse. Share you testimony of discipleship and becoming like Jesus.
- Sing through the entire song again before the end of primary!
- Create a story board for the story with pictures. Invite “readers” to read different parts of the story.
- After reading the story, ask questions about the message of the story. Discuss different ways that children can try to be like Jesus. Write down the ideas on paper and post them on the wall for children to remember.
- Give each child a piece of paper and crayons and invite them to draw the story.
- Print out each paragraph of the story and tape these papers to the wall. Have children put the story in order.
For another example of a song story, check out this A Child’s Prayer Song Story!
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Song Story Printable Lesson Plan & Song Story Outline
In this printable lesson plan, we have a full song story outline. This lesson plan includes brief instructions for the activity, as well as some extension ideas.
The second page of this lesson plan includes the song story, with specific places designated for learning new phrases of I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus. This outline is very simple to follow. Just read through story (or have volunteers read) and stop at each asterisk. Then, teach the song little by little!
How to Login to Unlock Downloads!
You can access ALL of our free lesson plans, flip charts, and other printables and downloads by subscribing! Grow.me is a really cool tool that lets you bookmark and save your favorite posts. See our FAQ page here if you need additional help!
Step 1: Click the Unlock Printables button below or 3 Dots icon in the bottom left corner.
Step 2: Create a free account with Grow.me and login.
*NOTE: We do not ask for ANY Credit card information on our lesson plans!! If you see any type of request, that’s not my site!
Step 3: That’s it! All download files will automatically be unlocked as long as you are logged in! If you’re already logged in, you’ll see the PDF preview and/or download button below.
Signing up will subscribe you to our email newsletter or update your subscription status if you previously unsubscribed. Our newsletter shares the latest weekly posts with timely and fun Singing Time ideas and new printable lesson plans!
👇 Download Here 👇
For another fun review activity, you will love this I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus Color Code!