Are you so excited to dive into a brand new set of New Testament Songs for 2023? Today I’m sharing a fun and easy way to teach Jesus Once Was a Little Child Magic crayon activity that will have the children glued on the activity and thrilled at the magic picture you reveal!
** See 12 Jesus Once Was a Little Child Singing Time Ideas here **
Jesus Once Was a Little Child Magic Crayon
How to Play:
Sing through Jesus Once Was a Little Child (flip chart) song once, before introducing the activity.
Ask the children to watch closely as you draw some shapes in the air through the first part of the song and join in on the chorus repeating the four shapes.
Praise the children how good they did at catching your symbols. What were the 4 steps? Let’s try it again together! Sing through the song with the children using the actions. You can display the first poster, if you’d like.
Let a couple children come up front to lead the actions and sing the song again!
Now, tell the children you’ve been drawing a special picture every time! Let’s sing again and watch as I draw the same shapes on the whiteboard – draw the shapes and create your stick figure people!
Share a simple testimony of the song’s message of trying to follow and be like Christ. It’s effort and trying over and over that helps us to become more like him.
Magic Crayon Actions:
- Jesus once was a little child – Draw a circle
- A little child like me – Draw a smiley face
- And he was pure and meek and mild – Draw 2 upward arrows
- As a little child should be – Draw a line from top to bottom
- So, little children – Draw a circle
- Let’s you and I – Draw a smiley face
- Try to be like him – Draw 2 upward arrows
- Try, try, try – Draw a line from top to bottom
- Bring in finger lights to draw the shape, instead of just using your finger.
- Use fun drawing actions to add to your existing drawing for the 2nd verse. You can have the children help you come up with the actions to draw, or use these:
- Draw an arch – Jump rope
- Draw a Circle – Ball in his hand
- # ! ✔ – Draw some exclamation symbols (for inside the speech bubble)
- Speech bubble
For another fun magic crayon singing time idea, head over to this Help Me Dear Father Magic Crayon lesson plan!
Jesus Once Was a Little Child Magic Crayon Printable Song Helps
You’ll love this set of visuals to help you introduce the magic crayon activity! It’s a great way to engage the children in the activity and help them remember the lesson plan to try it again at home!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun singing time activity to teach this song, head over to see this Jesus Once Was a Little Child Draw the Song Challenge!
What other fun ways could you extend this Jesus Once Was a Little Child Magic Crayon activity?