Introduce all your songs for Come Follow Me New Testament with this cute Primary New Year Idea: Learn & Grow activity! It’s so fun to see your primary children progress throughout the year and learn new songs!
Each of the petals of the flower will have one of your songs for the year written on it. As you learn the songs each month, add a petal to the flower until the flower is fully grown at the end of the year! Such a fun way to introduce all your songs at the beginning of the year!
Learn & Grow Flower Primary New Years Idea
It’s so fun to start a new year in primary! I love watching all the new sunbeams adjust to primary and have fun in singing time! I typically like to introduce all my songs at the beginning of the year to give the kids an overview of what we’ll be learning.
Create a cute flower with primary song petals to introduce all your songs for the year! You can find the full printable flower with petals later in the post!
To make your learn & grow flower, you’ll just need a few supplies. I grabbed some colorful paper, scissors and tape. You can also use a stapler to keep the flower together.
I’ve created a printable that includes a steam & leaves, a flower center, and petals for ALL of the songs for New Testament. There are even some blank petals in case you are teaching some extra songs for holidays, performances, etc.
Print out petals for the songs you’ll be teaching. It might be a good idea to print out all the petals and save them for the next time you teach these songs! Start by taping the leaves to the stem. Then, tape or staple the center to the stem.
When you introduce your songs, use magnets to put the stem on the white board. Display the petals on the side of the board to show the songs you’ll be learning. Then, add the petals each month when you learn a new song!
If you have a primary bulletin board, this might be a good place to display your beautiful learn & grow flower. This way, everyone can see the songs you are learning! You could also put the flower on a large poster board to display in the primary room.
This is how it will turn out once you add all your primary songs for the year! I LOVE how mine turned out!
- Before preparing for this activity, choose your songs for the new year (We have a 4-year rotation to help you organize your songs!)
- Gather supplies: Colored paper, scissors, tape.
- Print out the flower stem & center from the printable. You may choose to print the stem on green colored paper or any other color you’d like! Print out the petals that have the songs you will be teaching. There are also a few blank petals to fill in.
- Tape the stem to the center of the flower. Keep the petals in a sheet protector or folder.
- Welcome your primary kids to a new year in primary! Introduce yourself and welcome any new primary kids.
- Then, bring out the flower stem and tape the petals to the side of the whiteboard. Have the children read through the songs and help them get excited about the new songs they’ll be learning!
- You might ask them if there are any songs on the board that they are already familiar with.
- Share a short testimony about learning together in primary.
- Each month, add a petal to your flower. At the end of the year, your flower will be fully grown!
- Tape the stem & leaves to a large poster board. Make a cute title that is specific to your ward primary. Display the poster in the primary room and pull it out each time you learn a new song!
- Have your accompanist play through the songs on the piano as you put up the flower. Share a little bit about why you chose each song.
- Write out some of the doctrines taught in the songs you’ll be teaching. Write those doctrines on the back of the petal. When you introduce each song at the beginning of the month, share the doctrine or principle that song teaches.
- Have the kids try to guess what songs you’ll be learning! Play a guessing game where you give them hints about each song and see if they can guess correctly!
For more singing time helps, check out this New Testament Primary Program Outline & Song Picker!
Primary New Years Idea: Learn & Grow Flower Printable Lesson Plan & Flower Outline
This printable lesson plan contains all you need to plan and prepare for this cute New Years primary introduction activity! To help you prepare for the lesson, I’ve included instructions for making the printable flower, and some additional ideas.
I have also included ALL of the suggested songs for Come Follow Me New Testament. The songs typed in each petal to make for a simple print & go activity! There are 4 blank petals if you have additional song that you’d like to teach that aren’t on the list.
Just print out the songs you’ll be teaching this year in any colors! I’ll be using a mix of colors for my flower petals.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun New Years idea, check out this Primary New Years Goals activity!
I’d love to hear what songs you are learning this year! How will you introduce these songs in primary?
This post may also be available in: English Español