You can’t go wrong teaching this song with these Love One Another ASL cards! They’re designed from the original songbook sign language cards and just enlarged so it is easier to use during Singing Time in a group setting.
*See all Love One Another Singing Time Ideas here!*
Love One Another ASL Cards
How to Play:
Sing through Love One Another lyrics once, before introducing the ASL sign language cards.
Put the first 1-3 sign cards up on the board. Demonstrate the sign and tell the kids they can use the card for a reference if they need to. Now, have them try do the signs with you. Sing just that one word or piece of the song.
Add another sign or couple of signs by adding the card to the board, demonstrating how to use them, doing the signs together, then sing from the beginning of the song.
Continue to sing and sign your way through the song adding just a few words at a time. This will build in tons of repetition and help them to remember the signs easier by not having to learn them all at once.
When you have them all down, let a couple of children or one Primary class come up front and help lead the signs, then rotate in a new group to lead.
- Ask the children to stand on all the “people” words such as words like: I, you, ye, my. Then, sit on the non-people words. You can then add a STOMP for every time you sign love! If you use the color keywords cards it will be easier for the kids to follow along.
- Post all of the ASL signs scrambled around the board. Can the children find the matching sign! Don’t put the ASL card on the board first – just demonstrate the sign language action and then let them find the right picture to match and put it in order.
- Try signing WITHOUT singing! It’s a challenge as you’ll have to silently sing the words in your head to keep on track with what part of the song you are on and can be so fun!
- Use the blank cards without words (included in the extended printables) and have the Senior Primary children write in the words! Can they figure out which sign is each word and fill in the blanks?
- Divide the Primary into two groups. Let one helper from each side come up. They will each take turns picking sign cards and moving them to their side of the board. Try singing ONLY the cards on their side of the board!
Love One Another Sign Language Tutorial
To help you see these signs visually, you’ll love this tutorial video to help!
For another fun lesson plan using ASL, head over to see this Choose the Right Sign Language activity!
Love One Another Sign Cards Printables
This printable includes 1/4 sheet ASL sign language cards to help you teach the song Love One Another. They’re black and white and easy to print – just cut out or use as posters!
Those with the INSTANT Primary Singing membership will find extended printables including a colored keyword version and a no keyword option to go with the extension ideas. Plus, a printable lesson plan! You’ll find these included when Love One Another is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun and easy activity to help you teach this song, head over to see this Love One Another Picture Puzzle lesson plan.
What other fun ways could you use these ASL cards to help you teach Love One Another in your Primary room?