Looking for a really fun and different way to sing a variety of songs? The kids will LOVE this Magic Paper Towel Art review game! It will completely wow them as the colors magically appear when you add water!
I think this would work best to review a variety of songs, but you could also use it for one line at a time with different pictures. See even more fun Primary Song review games here.
I’ve made this one specifically with a Valentine’s Day Singing Time in mind, but it would work anytime of the year.
How to Make Magic Paper Towel Art
- Paper Towels
- Washable markers
- Tray with water
How to Make Magic Paper Towel Art:
- Take a paper towel and fold it in half.
- Use the templates below to trace or inspire your ideas and draw an outline pattern on the front half with a sharpie.
- Unfold and trace the outline again on the under layer.
- Use a piece of paper or another paper towel to block any color bleed on this next step! You want the top layer to ONLY have the sharpie. Add color using washable markers. They’ll bleed when added to water and spread through the top layer of the paper towel.
- You can keep a second paper towel piece between the layers so they can’t see the colors through.
- Then, when you’re ready, just lay the paper towel into a tray of water and watch the magic colors reveal!
- You’ll want a paper plate or something near by to move the wet paper towels out of the way for the next reveal.
Magic Paper Towel Art Review Game
Ask the children to pick one of the 6 pictures from the front half view. Just place them on the table and let them point to their choice. Hold it up and have the children try to guess what song it might go with the picture.
Call one class to come up (5-8 kids) and huddle around the tray or use a camera to show the reveal to the whole room! Reveal the hidden picture by putting the paper towel art into a dish of water and watch the colors bleed through.
Sing through the song revealed. Then start again picking another image and reveal!
- Alternate: To skip the water element, you can use these layered with a flashlight instead! You can use with or without the sneak peek cover image. Just add a cardstock cover, then shine a flashlight from behind.
- Give the kids 2 minutes to draw a picture for their favorite Primary song. Shuffle them and randomly pick one to reveal with a flashlight (or towel art) and then sing their song choice!
For another fun singing time idea with a similar feel, head over to see this Magic Messages Review Game for any song you’d like!!
6 Magic Paper Towel Art Song Templates
I’ve included simple template ideas you can copy when making your own paper towel art! Or, use it with a flashlight to magically reveal the song!
You can find a larger full-page option as part of February Book of Mormon INSTANT Primary Singing so you can just print and play.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun idea to use this Valentine’s Day, head over to see this I Love Getting to Know You Survey! Get to know the Primary children better — and for them to get to know you!
I can’t wait to hear how your Primary loved these Magic Paper Towel Art and song reveals!
This post may also be available in: English Español