Are you teaching Nephi’s Courage in singing time this year? I love the conviction of this song and the reminder to “Go and Do.” This song is listed under the month of February in the 2024 Come Follow Me Book of Mormon suggested songs!
For a fun way to introduce or review this song, use this Nephi’s Courage Crossword Puzzle with words directly from the song lyrics and clues to help you solve the puzzle!
Work on this puzzle together, divide into groups, or have each child work on their own puzzle! With so many different ways to use this crossword puzzle activity, it’s sure to be a hit!
Nephi’s Courage Crossword Puzzle
I’ve created a fun crossword puzzle with words chosen from lyrics in the first verse of this upbeat song! Later in this post, you’ll find a copy of this crossword puzzle, as well as a filled out answer key. Print out a copy of the crossword puzzle, clues, and answer key before primary.
If using this activity to introduce this song in primary, post the blank crossword on the board (you’ll have to cut off the title), as well as the clues. Read aloud a few clues.
Does anyone know which scripture story this puzzle is about? Who is in this story? Ask some of these questions to see if the kids can guess the song or story.
Then, begin learning the song line by line using our Nephi’s Courage flip chart as a guide. Keep an eye out for any lyrics that give away answers to the puzzle! Solve the puzzle while learning the song. By the time you finish the song, you should be able to fill out all the missing words!
Alternatively, if you’ve already started practicing Nephi’s Courage, start by reviewing the first verse and chorus of the song. Then, post the blank crossword puzzle on the board. Keep the answer key close by for reference.
Look for volunteers to choose a number and a direction (#1 Across, #3 Down). Have the child come up to the front. Read the clue and see if they can guess the word. If they guess correctly, have them fill in each letter.
Then, sing through the song again and choose another volunteer to guess a word! If singing through the entire song takes up too much time, switch off singing the verse and chorus in between each guess.
If someone answers incorrectly, see if someone in the class can help! Give extra clues if necessary.
There are lots of ways to adapt this activity to make it more challenging or make it a little easier. Be sure to check out my extension ideas below.
Look at all these words to help us remember the song! Once you’ve filled out the entire crossword puzzle, sing through the song one more time and share your testimony of the importance of following direction from Heavenly Father.
- Required by Heavenly Father (Commanded)
- The king who tried to kill Nephi and his brothers (Laban)
- Unrighteous, evil (Wicked)
- Another word for scared (Afraid)
- The item Nephi was instructed to retrieve from the king (Plates)
- To listen or give heed to (Obey)
- Nephi’s famous phrase, “I will…” (GoandDo)
- Nephi’s oldest brother (Laman)
- One of Lehi’s sons who slew Laban (Nephi)
- Another word for brave (Courageous)
- Place where Nephi went to get the plates (City)
- Split the class into 2-3 groups. While listening to Nephi’s Courage, have each group work together to see how quickly they can solve the puzzle! Have a small prize for the group that finishes first.
- Since each word in the puzzle comes from a lyric in the song, hum that word when you sing through the song! At the end, sing through the entire song, and hum all the words in the puzzle!
- For younger primary children, print pictures that represent each answer. Cut and post the pictures on the board. As you give clues, invite the children to either say the answer or choose from the pictures! You can help them fill in the boxes or just write the answers in.
- Make it more of a gameshow and have 2 teams. Have one contestant from each team come up to the board to answer each clue. Have each team write with a different colored marker and see which team got the most answers correct!
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Search, Ponder, and Pray Crossword Puzzle singing time activity!
Nephi’s Courage Crossword Puzzle Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a single-page crossword puzzle with 10 words, a clue sheet, and an answer key!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including larger sizes 2-pages and 6-page and colors version. You’ll find these bonus files included when Nephi’s Courage song is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Watch back here for more fun singing time ideas to come to help you teach this song this year! Don’t miss this Nephi’s Courage Flip Chart with several different printable options to choose from!
What other fun ways will you use this crossword puzzle singing time activity in your Primary room?