Use this fun New Year Song Scramble activity to help you get a better idea of how well your Primary children know each of your song picks for the year. It’s a fun way to get everyone moving and thinking about your new year songs with a game the kids always love! Plus, it’s no prep – just put a sign up on each wall!
See even more fun New Year themed Singing Time Ideas here!
New Year Song Scramble
Place your 4 different signs with one on the center of each of the 4 walls of your room. Go around in order with Love it on the front wall, then know some, followed by heard it, and end with don’t know the song. This will help the children better keep track of which wall to go to if they’re in order.
Sing a line or two of a song the children know really well. Ask the children, do you know this song? Do you LOVE this song? Today we’re going to break up the room to help me know how much you know each of our new songs for the year. When you heard that song, you could walk reverently up front here to this sign – I know & love this song!
Sing a line or two of a song the children probably DON’T know. Hm.. what about this song? Where should I go if I have never heard this song before? Let the kids point! They can use the words or symbols to help them find the right spot in the room. You got it! You guys are great at this! You could also go to that wall (point) if you have heard the song before, but don’t know it. Or that wall over there if you know the song a little bit.
Shall we try it together!? Here’s the rules – no running or pushing! And help sing along if you know the song to help others hear the melody and know where they should go.
Sing through a single verse, line, or chorus depending on how much time you have. While you’re singing, everyone in the room will move about and go to the wall that best fits how well they know the song. They should be at the wall of their choice by the end of the song.
- Roll a dice with the 4 symbols on it plus one symbol for everyone and one symbol for music leader/teachers only. Just that wall will sing through the same part again with you. Make sure you have lyrics ready for those that will need them!
- Make it a “competition” by asking the children to raise their hand if they think they know the song title. Try to pick the child that raised their hand first! If they get it right, add one point for that wall’s “score”. Points don’t mean anything – but the boys sure care about them! ????
- Ask a teacher or Primary presidency member to please take notes for you on how many children were at each wall.
- You can keep everyone sitting, and ask them to point to their wall as SOON as the song is over!
- You can also use the dice to “eliminate” groups. Everyone eliminated needs to sing! Until you’re down to one winner who gets a prize! The prize could be something as simple as rolling the dice or leading or being your helper.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Primary Song Countdown and Check-in singing time activity!
New Year Song Scramble Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes easy to use 1/2 page printable signs to post around your Primary room.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including full page signs, symbol only signs, dice cards, and a recording sheet. You’ll find these bonus files included in the January Doctrine & Covenants packet.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Bring a little winter into your Primary room with this fun no-stress game! Bring in these darling snowballs and start Snowball Fight to sing through a mix of the kids favorite songs.
What other fun ways will you use this Song Scramble singing time activity in your Primary room?