Dust off your ribbon wands for this fun Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Ribbon Wands singing time activity! Your primay children will love this purposeful movement activity with a simple verse and chorus pattern!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Ribbon Wands
Here at Primary Singing, we LOVE ribbon wands! We have tried out a few different types of ribbon wands to see which ones are the best for primary! We found many great resources for ribbon wands depending on the size of your primary.
You can find our recommendations for ribbon wands and how to make your own in this DIY Ribbon Wands post here!
Review the first verse and chorus of Sameul Tells of the Baby Jesus (lyrics here). Post the first page of the ribbon wands pattern on the board as you pass out the ribbon wands. I’ve included an outline for the entire pattern below that includes each action and how it corresponds with the song lyrics.
Have the kids watch as you demonstrate the first line of the song. Wave your ribbon wand up and down while singing “Said Samuel.” Then, draw a number 5 in the air while singing “within 5 years.”
While singing the line “the night will be as,” wave your ribbon wand high in the air in an “arch” shape. Draw a big circle while singing “day.” This is the first line of the pattern! Have the kids try this line with you.
Then, teach the next line of the pattern! Have the children try this line after watching you first. Slowly try the entire verse!
Once the children are feeling confident with the verse pattern, post the chorus pattern on the board. Work through the pattern phrase by phrase until you learn the entire chorus!
Then, try the pattern for the entire song! This is a great way to get in lots of practice while breaking down the song into smaller chunks.
Ribbon Wand Pattern:
- Wave Up & Down (“Said Samuel”)
- Draw the number “5” in the air (“Within 5 years)
- Left & Right high arch (“The night will be as” )
- Draw a circle (“day”)
- Left & Right Arch low (“And Baby Jesus will be born”)
- Wiggle wands far to the right (“in a land far, far away”)
- Start low left, then bring up to the right (“Hosanna, Hosanna”)
- Make 4 dots with ribbon wand on each syllable (“let us gladly”)
- Spin in a circle with wand (“sing”)
- Low Left “U” shape (“How blessed that our”)
- High right arch (“Lord was born”)
- Draw a circle “(Let earth receive her”)
- Wiggle up high (“King”)
- Split the class into 2 groups – one group for the verse pattern and another group for the chorus pattern. Have each group practice their part and teach it to the other group! *Tip: Teach each part of the pattern to one of your primary teachers. Have them teach the pattern to their group! This is a great way to increase teacher involvement!
- Use our ribbon wand action cards to create your own unique pattern together! Before primary, pick out 8-10 action cards. During primary, have the kids choose which ones they want to use for the pattern. Arrange the cards to create a pattern for the song!
- Spread this activity across 2 weeks! Focus on the verse(s) for the first week, then work on the chorus the following week! This might be a good option if you have a lot of younger children in your primary. This way, you can keep their attention while still focusing on one part of the song!
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this I’ll Walk With You Ribbon Wands singing time activity!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Ribbon Wands Demo Video!
Check out this short demo video as you prepare to teach this ribbon wands pattern in singing time! In this video, I explain all the actions used in this pattern and sing throug the first verse and chorus of the song using the pattern! Try it with me a few times!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes a 2-page printable pattern guide for the verse and chorus of this song! You’ll find all the step-by-step actions to follow along with the pattern in the post and video above.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including the 2nd verse, larger posters, and a black and white version! You’ll find these bonus files included when Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Your primary kids will love this cool Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Finish the Picture activity!
What other fun ways will you use this ribbon wands activity in your Primary room?