Did you know that Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus is one of the song picks included in the September Book of Mormon Primary Songs list. It’s a great one to include as one of your Primary Christmas Song picks for this year to tie into the Book of Mormon Come Follow Me teaching year.
You’ll have so much fun learning the song piece by piece or reviewing the song as you delve into all the different shapes and symbols of the lyrics in this Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus song puzzle activity.
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Song Puzzle
This activity is so much fun, you’ll have a vibrant picture of the song Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus that weaves in different symbols that match the lyrics throughout the scene.
I would start this activity by singing through Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus (flip chart here) once before you introduce this song puzzle. This is a great refresher before you get started and can help transition to the start of singing time or from another activity.
Then, divide your Primary room by class or small group. Ideal groups would be 3-5 or so kids, but you can include more per group if needed. A smaller group helps everyone feel included and be able to help with the puzzle.
Pass out one envelope per small group with directions that they’ll need to wait to start until you start singing the song. When they finish the puzzle, join in singing to help indicate when they’ve finished. You might sing through the song 1-2 times until all the groups have finished.
Ask the children some directed questions such as, can you find Samuel? Do you remember what he said to the people? (Christ would be born within 5 years). Let’s sing the song and point to the Samuel and what he says as we sing.
Continue to ask questions about the next line of the song and have the children hunt through the picture to find the matching clues. Some questions could include:
- What did Samuel say would be unique about the night Jesus was born? (It would be like day!) Find the moon and sun!
- Where was Jesus born in relation to the people in the Book of Mormon lands? (Far, far away) Can you find the far away land and baby Jesus on the map?
- What did the angels sing? (Hosanna!) Can you find the palm leaves and music notes?
- What title of royalty does the song use for Jesus? (King!) Can you find the crown and the Earth?
- Play the puzzle game in relay style! Line up the kids by class or small group. Aim for the same number of kids per group and include teachers, as needed, to even out each group. Sing through the song once with the first child completing the puzzle, then pass it down the line for the next child the next time you sing through the song. Can each team member make it through the puzzle before the song ends?
- Play the game as a seek and color activity instead! Find the different objects, then color them in as you sing through the song one line at a time learning the lyrics! This would work best with a picture per child or small group.
- Use the poster as an inspiration guide, and let the children make their own song scene adding objects to match each line of the song. Let them show off their pictures as you sing through the song!
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this The Lord Gave Me a Temple Picture Puzzle singing time activity!
Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Song Puzzle Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes the 1-page colored picture with the song lyrics interwoven throughout the picture – see what you can spot!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including a larger 2-page puzzle and black and white. You’ll find these bonus files included when Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to see this fun Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus Rhythm Sticks activity to follow along with the beat in an engaging way!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?