I thought a word search would be just perfect for the song Search, Ponder and Pray! It easily ties in the meaning of “searching” and can help you pull in a spiritual message on not just simply reading through the words of the scriptures but looking for the meaning hidden on each page and how they can relate to our lives!
Search, Ponder and Pray
How to Play this Word Search Game:
– Sing Search, Ponder, and Pray together.
– Post the word search, and ask the children if they can find one of the keywords from the song in the word search. In Junior Primary, if they need help, sing the first phrase and add extra emphasis on the keywords, then ask them to look for the hidden words singing it more than once, if necessary.
“I LOVE to READ the holy SCRIPTURES…”
– I’d recommend just hunting for the simple hidden words in Junior Primary and hunt for the whole list in Senior Primary including the words that are backwards and on an angle!
– Sing through the song again after each time you find a new hidden word.
– Skip singing the keywords you’ve found using silent singing.
– Add a simple action in place of the hidden words, such as a clap, snap, dab, stomp, or whatever the children choose! You might just stick with one or two actions so it is not overly complicated.
– Compete with one side of the room singing the keywords and the other side singing all the non keywords throughout the song.
– Connect the word search with the spiritual searching we are called to do in this song. Share ideas and challenge the children to take the time to really search their scriptures!
Suggested Word Search Words
for Search, Ponder and Pray
Junior Primary Words:
Senior Primary Words:
Printable Search, Ponder, and Pray
Word Search Lesson Plan
This printable lesson plan for the Search, Ponder, and Pray word search includes an instructions page so you can easily remember exactly what to do — including extension activities.
You can then choose from a 1-page printable word search for small Primary groups or a large 4-page printable version of this word search for large Primary groups! You’ll also find a “cheat sheet” with all the hidden words highlighted so you can easily find them while leading the activity.
Use a paper cutter to evenly cut the top two pages together (cutting off the extra selvage at the bottom of the page) and then the bottom two pages together. Then cut off the extra column width on the right two pages.
Lay the right pieces on top of the left pieces with the letters facing each other and tape along the back overlapping edge. This way, they’ll easily fit in your singing time binder and filing storage solutions, and be a cinch to put up on the board!
Click here —> to Print Search, Ponder and Pray Word Search
What other Primary songs do you plan to use this word search activity with?