Have fun singing He Sent His Son with this easy and fun ribbon wands activity. There’s step-by-step instructions included here, or come up with your own actions for more variety. You can even have the kids help customize the actions, which is always fun!
Affiliate links are used in this post.
He Sent His Son
Using Ribbon Wands:
There are a lot of options for making or purchasing Ribbon Wands for your Primary. Some people make their own using ribbons and a shower rod ring, for example.
There are the kinds of ribbons on a stick or wristband styles. My personal preference is the type they slip over their wrist. I find them easiest for the little kids to use and there is less “sword fighting” going on.
I personally bought this set of Ribbon Wands from Amazon and I just bought 2 packs to get me to 24. They are long so I have everyone spread out and find their own spot in the Primary room. It’s really fun to see the whole room swirling with colors!
I then put 6-8 ribbon wands in a burlap bag to pass out to the teachers to hand out to their class and collect them again at the end. You could also simply use a gallon ziploc bag for the same effect.
Ribbon Wand Actions:
- Big Circle – Trace one big, slow circle like you’re making the earth
- Left and Right – Slow sway swishes back and forth in front of you –
- Disco Arms – Swing ribbons high up by your ear and then across your body to your other hip
- Worm – Curvy up and down swiggles in front of you
**Ironically, I grabbed the wrong ribbon wand action card!! Ignore “river” or feel free to substitute!
“Chorus” Ribbon Wand Actions:
- Arch – A big half circle over your head like a rainbow
- Hammock – Lazy swings back and forth dipping in the center
- Grass – Distinct up and down movements
– Junior Primary Pattern –
Repeat: Circle, Left/Right, and Disco Arms (held for 2 lines) through the song
– Senior Primary Pattern –
Pattern with the Lyrics:
- Circle – How could the Father tell the world
- Left and Right – of love and tenderness?
- Disco – He sent his Son a newborn babe
- Worm – with peace and holiness.
- Circle – How could the Father show the world
- Left and Right – the pathway we should go?
- Disco – He sent his Son to walk with men
- Worm – on earth, that we may known.
- Circle – How could the father tell the world
- Left and Right – of sacrifice, of death?
- Disco – He sent his Son to die for us
- Worm – and rise with living breath.
Change Pattern at “Chrous”
- Arch – What does the Father ask of us?
- Hammock – What do the scriptures say?
- Grass – Have faith, have hope, live like his Son
- Arch – help others on their way.
- Hammock – What does he ask?
- Grass – Live like his Son.
He Sent His Son
Ribbon Wands Lesson Plan
To grab a copy of our printable Ribbon Wand Action Cards – head to this post and pick the size that will work best for you! Or, simply draw the actions on the whiteboard!
The He Sent His Song Ribbon Wands lesson plan includes the directions for the activity plus a printable teacher’s version of the ribbon wand actions.
I recommend posting larger images or drawing the actions on the whiteboard so your Primary can more easily see them. 🙂
Click here —> to Print He Sent His Son Ribbon Wands Lesson Plan